is this safe? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

is this safe?

Since I found out my chain has 2.0 inches of slack (reccomended is 1.0 to 1.4) is it safe to ride my bike 20 min. to a shop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 04:54 AM

Yeah, a 20 minute ride will be fine. Just go easy on it (no wheelies, or excessive engine braking). The idea with chains, is that you want as much slack as possible without the chain coming off the sprockets.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 05:09 AM

You can do it, but take it real easy. You don't want your chain getting thrown.. it's no fun at all!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 03:28 PM

theres alot of bunk floating around about chain adjustment, first of all it depends on how much sag ya got when your on it..and if ya ride a passenger. the chain tightens when ya sit on it. i run my chains on the loose side. please dont tell me your not gonna adjust your own chain, its in your owners manual how to do it. they put it there becuse its a simple job they expect the owner to do. two inches with nobody on it might be alittle loose... i bet mine is set around there though.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 04:56 PM

I was wondering if when your chain gets looser that it affects the acceleration of your bike, is this true?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 05:37 PM

no thats not true, however if the chain has binding links or worn rollers that bind under load or in other words shot you can lose quite a bit of horsepower to the wheel. you got a relatively new bike...alot of miles? really its ok to run a chain loose if its not gettin sloppy with the gears...if its not cuasing a annoying slapping sound your probably ok. remember when you exlr8 the chain is tight on the top as thefront gear pulls on the rear gear to spin it...its as tight as a solid piece of steel...the bottom of the chain is loose and balloning...it cant be so loose that its loosing contact with the bottom of the sprockets...thats when you run into ratcheting potential which yeah is pretty bad and dangerous to say the least.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 04:07 AM

2 inches isnt dangerous at all, I really doubt you could throw it if you tried.

And I agree that this a good time to practice on your mechanical ability a bit. Its probably the easiest maintenence you can do to your bike.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 09:40 PM

Talking

YOU CAN DO IT!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp rs.bmp (1.1 KB, 43 views)
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 03:35 PM

Talking

I agree with Vaneo.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 03:41 PM

That's not much slack at all. For a twenty minute just going to the shop ride you'll be fine. As pointed out, the chain gets tight when sitting on the bike. If the chain is too tight it can complicate the movement, damper, and rebound functions of the suspension. Always when adjusting your own chain, refer to the manufacturer, they made the bike, so who'd know best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode