does riding before chain lube help?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

does riding before chain lube help??

Is chain lube gonna fling anyway, even if you ride your bike before applying it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 05:32 PM

Hi ESanders2-

I'd rather put fresh lubricant on a warmed-up chain rather than a cold one for superior penetration. You'll still get "fling" either way.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 05:35 PM

1) "Does riding before chain lube help??" Yes, I think. I hear it's better to lube a warm chain than a cold one. I don't know how true that is but the biggest reason I lube after riding is so the lube has all night (usually) to drip off. I put some old cardboard under the chain to catch the drips.

2) "Is chain lube going to fling anyway?" Yes

I won't get into what I use for chain lube except that it's a pretty light oil. When I get home I usually wipe off the underside of my rear fender to get the flung oil off.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 05:47 PM

In honesty I have been lubing chains since way back in 1946 & having some terrible results through the years with many, many different things to even an idea I passed on to Greeves, being put oil in the s/arm tube with a small adjustable tap that can be fully off or on to a very slow drip. Turned out to be useful in comp like enduros of several days.

In fact Mick Andrews copied from Greeves & passed that on to Ossa & then on to Yamaha.

Problem was it could be quite messy as we used light viscousities of oil in our trials.

There is an auto oilier one can purchase & if used correctly it does a super job. I simply have not purchased & installed three of them on my bikes. Believe it is called "Scotts Oiler".

Still I have not had oil fling on my bikes once I have lubed them with any of the on the shelf sprays. Mind you there is a trick.

You come in for your last run of the day, the chain is hot so lube the chain when hot, but do NOT sturate it. Leave the bike overnight & when you take off that is it -------- the lube has soaked in. If it does fling then you have applied to much. It is as simple as that.

Also in par with lubing the chain when it was hot NOW if you want to adjust the chain then with a cold chain THIS is the time to adjust.

So it is Adjust when COLD & LUBE while HOT. Sort of jives with change your oil when the motor is hot. Or another one I use being when hitting the twisties or bends GO IN SLOW & under control & COME OUT FAST.

Last edited by Smitty; 11-18-2005 at 09:20 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the help.

I just think it would be a pain to clean the chain all off, then have to put on all my gear and go out riding (usually after I've finished washing the bike as well) before lubing the chain.

that's the other question I had - do you have to lube the chain after washing your bike?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 07:28 PM

Usually after every other tank of gas or so, when I come back from a ride I pop the bike up on the rear stand and lube the chain while it's still hot. It's only when the chain starts to look a little dirty that I clean it, take the bike out for a few minutes without any lube then come back and lube the chain while it's warm.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 08:47 PM

Hi All-

Unas_the_Slayer and I use a similar technique with regard to deciding when to lubricate the chain. Every other tank of gasoline sounds about right.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 09:59 AM

I keep a simple log book on the bikes I own/ride. It starts out withe a photo of the bike, S/N, cost of bike, colour & so much more.

On the regular pages is each time I fill up along with the milage, how much fuel, & what the trip meter read. Also any time I have laid a spanner to a bike, washed it, lubed the chain, adjusted the chain, tyres, chains, sprockets, etc.

So besides how the bike looks to me & whatever the milage tells me so much more along when was the last time I did this or that.

I picked up the above when I was racing comp bikes for factories over in the UK as they demanded the above & so much more monthly to even how I did in races. Even if I just practed a few hrs that had to be recorded.

It sounds more complicted on this post then it really is & I am amazed others do not do a thing for all it requires is a normal three leaf book & empty lines pages with some vertical ones I put in for Date, Milage, Fuel, etc.

Like I am amazed at those that do not check their air pressure till the bike is handeling lousy, or are way past the time to change the oil, or someone else has to point out to them that it looks like their chain is shot & a rusty mess

Last edited by Smitty; 11-15-2005 at 10:05 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 10:11 AM

Thats a great idea Smitty, I am definitely going to do that.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Jays
I'd rather put fresh lubricant on a warmed-up chain rather than a cold one for superior penetration.
With O-ring chaings you don't want the lubricant to penetrate anyway. Basically you're lubricating the external contact surfaces, and I don't suspect a warmed up chain would make any difference.

Also, try a teflon lubricant--they dont fling or collect debris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode