How to Deal With Mid-Corner Obstacles - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

How to Deal With Mid-Corner Obstacles

I was in a hard right-hander today, and almost panicked when I saw a six-foot wide patch of thick gravel completely covering the road in front of me.

The way I saw it I had three options.

1. I could straighten out the bike, brake and slow, and cross the gravel as upright as possible.

2. I could keep my lean angle, stay toward the inside of the turn, then straighten the bike out to cross the gravel, and immediately go back into my lean to avoid crossing centerline.

3. I could do nothing and cross the gravel leaned over and hope I didn't wipe out. I'm not sure what the chanced were here, but they didn't look good.

Anyway, I went with option 1. I straightened out, braked and slowed to the point where I didn't have to lean much to cross the gravel, and the bike didn't slide out.

I wanted to know what you all thought, if you had other techniques, suggestions, experience, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Ice

If you went through that gravel at a nice lean angle you would have lowsided for sure. You gotta straighten that bitch up and slow down as much as you can before contact with the gravel. You did exactly what I've done many times. That should always been the first option if you have the space and time to accomplish the maneuver. I would have gone around if it were a small patch, but as you said it was fairly large.

P.S. I had my head turned about nintey degrees in a tight right hander and didn't even notice the patch of sand until I slid right through it. Good thing the tire regained traction. These kind of incidents keep you feeling alive.

I was reading this article in fastbikes about this Irish roadrace. I forget the name. Maybe I'll post it up. One of the editors went for a lap with the winner. The winner was Finnegan. He won all three classes. Anyways, The editor.... Actually I'll go find the page and post it. It was vintage.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Ice: thanks for the reply. I agree. I guess this shows the importance of not outrunning your visibility, b/c if I had I wouldn't have been able to do anything but hit the gravel at a good lean, and probably lowsided. BTW, what is your technique if you do accidentally get into a slide? Do you try to straighten it out a bit? Add throttle?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 08:14 PM

Sometimes, you can't tell or don't even know the shit that goes under your tires. Today, it felt like the bike jerked and jumped over this bump, couldn't even tell. Then I'm riding in the dark in a narrow road with cars front of me and behind me, I was going upright and suddenly, I felt something made rear tire move sideway for a bit, knocked it out of line.

I believe in a slide, you should keep the throttle constant, although depending on situation, chopping off or adding too much will cause it to highside.

I think in all sort of situations on the bike, the key is smooth throttle and smooth control over the bars.

Last edited by Z_Fanatic; 11-11-2005 at 08:17 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 09:32 PM

The track is a LOT different than the road. No gravel, leaves, gravel, pot holes, gravel, animals, gravel, or cages to worry about, so you can run at 90-100 percent of your abilities. On the road ya gotta leave about 20 percent just for dodging and bobbing.

Anytime you stay upright and don't hit somtin you've done the right thing. I like to turn, go straight, then turn and stay in the tire tracks through the corner when there's any gravel on the road. Stay off the throttle and kinda coast through the corner.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I like to turn, go straight, then turn and stay in the tire tracks through the corner when there's any gravel on the road. Stay off the throttle and kinda coast through the corner.

I'm confused by the turn, then straight, then turn thing. And I thought coasting through corners was bad b/c you're unloading the suspension.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 09:40 PM

Guess it depends on how fast you are going. Try to stay out of the gravel and keep the rear from sliding out due to tire slip from too much acceleration/deceleration. Smoooth. I really don't mean coast. Just no torque on back tire. Again track is a LOT different.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

mac020-

so it is possible to keep the bike upright in a turn through gravel, as long as you're smooth? Best case scenario anyway.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 09:51 PM

Makes yer heart pump though doesn't it? Smooth is the answer to most riding situations. Traction, balance and staying relaxed is what it's all about. Soon as you tense up every thing goes away.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 11:20 PM

gravel sucks

Def have to drive like your playing chess. You have to think in advance of where you can move next to reduce the risk and avoid any road obstacles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode