Anyone ever seen this? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Anyone ever seen this?

http://www.motorcycleairbagjackets.com/ This is my first time seeing this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 08:45 PM

hmm... air bag jackets... They don't look too tough. They say to take out any sharp objects such as keys before rolling it up to deflate it... If keys could puncture it, i can just immagine what gravel sliding beneath you at 60 mph will do. I could be wrong, i'm sure they took that into account when designing it, but i still look sceptically towards it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 09:22 PM

right, it doesn't look as tough as some of the textile jackets, but it does have pads in the elbows.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 03:02 AM

It looks like a neat product to me, however at $750 I wouldn't but it, you can get full leathers for that much. While I don't think this jacket will protect you while sliding across the ground and road rash. It definatly sounds like it will help lessen the impact against the ground, or another car for that matter. I am just gonna stick to leather or textile.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

https://www.airbagvest.com/system.htm I found another company that sells same type of product. A little less in cost, but I'm not familar with company or quality of product.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 09:56 AM

I have seen those, and they are pretty cool. I am always hesitant of anything that is that high tech that could malfunction and do more harm than good, like you are all leaned over in a turn, start to loose it and go into a tank slapper, what happens then? Does that thing blow up around you and you turn into a snowman trying to pilot a land missile? What I have seen that is really cool is onboard air bags. I saw a test where a cop bike is outfitted with them and the dummy t-bones a car and is Ok, pretty cool.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 10:06 AM

wouldn't the dummy (or person) have to be somehow strapped on to the bike, like via a seatbelt or something? Because otherwise, wouldn't the dummy just fly over the bars?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 10:11 AM

I think they had the dummies lower back bungeed to the bike. The cool thing was that on the first test that is exactly what happened. They didn't use an air bag equiped bike and the dummy went sailing over the car. In the second test the air bag comes out directly under the windscreen on the Kawa. The dummy starts rising up and then hits the bag and sits right back down on the seat, then the bike falls over. I know it is lame that I don't have the link but I will look for it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 11:05 AM

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcyc...cle-airbag.htm
here is a link, must have been an old Goldwing I first saw the test on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg honda-airbag.jpg (22.3 KB, 89 views)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 12:26 PM

If tethered to the bike, then it does look like it would help. However, if the rider decides that he's gonna make a quick trip to the corner store and forgets to tie himself to the bike, then the airbag would only make him fly higher up. Especially on the foreward-lean sport bikes. Now, if the guy t-boned a big SUV or something, then i guess the airbag would help him clear the vehicle and avoid a broken neck.

Also, like 1percenter said, if the airbag inflates prematurely, then that would really mean trouble for the rider.

Maybe if we equiped every rider with parachutes and the bikes with ejection seats... Now there's an idea!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode