what kind of riding gear do you like? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Question what kind of riding gear do you like?

I'm new to sportbike riding and would like some advice on what types of protective clothing work for you the best and why. I love leather, but lets face it.... in the summer you won't find me with my jacket & chaps! I want something versatile like all weather type gear. I looked at some joe rocket jackets that are perferated & made of this nylon stuff. They had a million zippers and all the protection, but they aren't leather. anyone know of a good leather jacket that has good ventilation & padding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 12:34 PM

Frank Thomas makes some nice leather suits. I have one and it has enough ventilation (jacket atleast) for 80 weather. But as for all leathers, when your at a stop light or waiting in traffic, it'll heat up very very fast.

I say find a good textile jacket like joe rocket and when it becomes colder, just add a liner inside. When you do shop, wear something bulky underneth like a sweater so you can have that option to wear when riding.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 01:55 PM

I have MotoGP leather jacket, pants, and gloves. A little bit expensive, but they are top quality. Arai helmets are very good, and I have Gearne boots. The boots are very good for the price, however my next boots will be Sidi.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 06:22 PM

In the summer here it's around 100 every day. I haven't tried riding in leathers, but even fully breathable textile mesh pants/air-flow cordura jacket is WAY too hot unless you're going at least 40 mph or so. Even at speed, I'm still sweating, just not as badly. I know everybody says to use leathers, but I think I would be at more risk of heat stroke and dehydration than anything else in full gear.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 06:28 PM

Re: what kind of riding gear do you like?

Quote:
Originally posted by cichlid
anyone know of a good leather jacket that has good ventilation & padding?
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...6-ALP05-3.html

That's the jacket I have and I wore it all through the summer.

Of course, I always squid out on pants and just wear camo pants instead of my leather pants..
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 10:05 AM

Hey candies, I rock my leathers 365. Even in 118 degree heat. The Joe rocket jacket that is mesh in the body and has perf leather arms is decent and super cheap. It is sooo hot here that the leathers are cooler than jeans, shorts, naked, what ever. The pavement gets up to about 160 in the sun and that is tooo freakin hot to have any skin exposed. I have some beemer leather pants that have a Goretex lining glued to the inside so they are waterproof. I rock those in the winter. If I am on the RRRRRRRR I wear a full Hein Gericke one piece w/ sliders and speed hump. I wrecked once in jeans and that was the last time I will ever be caught without my leathers. Just stay away in the summer cause you can smell me comin.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

hey 1percenter, what happens when you get caught in the rain with the perferated jacket? Do you get soaked? I like the idea of leather arms with a perferated body. it would give you the extra needed venting in the 100 degree heat/ and the arm pretection/armor throught you really need if you go down. All leather is optimal, but i don't plan on riding in any rain and leather is just soo damn hot!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 11:48 AM

In the heat I just get wet, because you can actually cool off a little. I carry a light BMW rain jacket that packs nice and small and fits over my leathers for when it is colder.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 04:38 AM

Personally I like textiles for street riding. They will protect you well for sane speeds. Chances are on the road you arent going to be doing long slides like at the track, you are going to go down, slide a bit and then hit something.

Textiles have come a long way the past couple of years. I think they are much more comfortable then leather in all temp ranges. They breathe better plus are water resistant. Just make sure you have some with good armor that stays in place.

With that said if I was at a track I wouldn't wear anything less then full leathers, but thats a different beast.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 07:16 AM

Don't skimp on gloves, and if you're not going to wear riding pants, wear heavy blue jeans at the least. Most of us have gone down before, and I have yet to hear anybody say, "man, that was fun...let's do it again".

I just went down the other day in the rain. It sucked. I came out with some minor road rash and a body full of scabs. I was wearing my usual Dockers slacks and they look like shorts. My body took the blunt of the fall, and even wearing a jacket, I was still scraped up through friction and abrasion.

Your hand is instinctively going to be your first defense in preventing a crash/body injury. Make sure you buy quality gloves that cover your wrist.

-=bmacd=-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode