Bondo, Fastners, And Specialy tools! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Bondo, Fastners, And Specialy tools!

Alright super experts once again, mother russia needs your help.
Whats a good filler to use on plastic parts, one that is flixible enough? Can I use the same filler on the steel tank? If not, what should I use?
Where is a good place to get oddball specialy tools, like fork seal drivers?
Perhaps its just me, but I seem to loose a fairing bolt a week. So I'd like to replace all the ones that I lost, but I dont feel like paying kawasaki $1.00 a bolt. However getting them from the local fastner house, may result in bolts that rust, and that wouldnt be cool either. So does anyone know where I can buy just a box of bolts that are the same kind used on bikes? Dont say pro-bolt. Those aluminum things not only are expansive but also very short lasting.

Oh, is there anything better than red locktite to hold them down with?

Thanks peeps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 09:14 AM

I used to fix plastics and paint race bikes. Typically on any plastics I would use fiberglass and resin and fill in any small holes with a glazing putty.

I have only fixed two tanks. Both times I used bondo because it is easier to shape then the fiberglass resin.

For the rest of your ills i have no clue
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 11:07 AM

What up, Vash? I've used Bondo on the back of plastic parts that needed reinforcing. I have no sanding & painting skills, so I can't tell you what works best on a surface that shows. Best to follow the Doctors' orders...

As for Loctite, make sure that you do not use it on any fastener which passes through plastic bodywork. The fumes from the loctite will cause the plastic to become brittle & crack. Use the 242 (blue) on any other fastener that you may have to remove on a regular basis, such as brake bolts. Use 271(red) on things like the countershaft sprocket.

On my 12, all the bodywork screws have a Teflon washer which works very well at keeping them from vibrating out.
If you don't have them on yours, get some from your dealer. They're pretty cheap.

For non-bodywork fasteners, the act of tightening them down breaks the factory loctite bond, and ensures that they will eventually vibrate loose. When you have some free time, take the fasteners out, loctite them (just a little bit), and reinstall them. I never had any problems with engine bolts, but I did lose a couple of subframe bolts, a battery box bolt, and a fairing stay bolt, before I went through & did them all. Haven't lost a fastener in three years.....

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Ok, so bondo for the tank, glazing putty for the fairings. There is nothing major, but there are some scratches that need to be filled in before the paint goes on (And I found someone to airbrush it for me, YEY!)
As for locktite, I honestly dont even trust the red stuff. Last time I checked everything (before the last trackday) I found 1 engine mount bold loose, 2 subframe bolts loose, the seat bolt missing, the chain cover bolt missing, one fairing bolt missing. Cant remember right away, but I think there were others as well. I had the same problem with my last bike as well. I dont know if its the roads, or my liking to keep the engine wound up at high rpm. All the fairing bolts have those plastic washers you were talking about.. They help, but nothing can keep those things in for long.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode