Draggin' the knee - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Draggin' the knee

I'm not sure where this belongs, but I just need some input. I want to read up on the science of cornering, the theory behind hangin your ass off the bike, flickin' the ass end of the bike into a corner, and scrapin' up the pucks on the knee pads. I love my bike, and I want to know it.
I had a 97 cbr600 fi a few years ago and it got me thinking about all of this. THEN, I decided that the cbr was too much for me and my wrists, and bought a cruiser. After a few years of that, I wanted a true sportsbike again. I missed that precise control and speed, so I bought an 05 zx6r (636 ninja!!!) I can't believe the difference. My cruiser is mising the 2nd gear due to a 1/4 drag test I decided to do(i threw the bearing, I think) , so I bought the Kawi. I'm in love and ride nothing else.
Now I know what this bike is capable of, and I've read the number charts, but what I really want to do is test it's limits. I want to drag the knee and bring this bike to the designers limits. I'm not wanting to put my neck on the line, I just want to ride it like it was meant to be riddin. I've read that I can take this bike out to the track and It will be more at home there than on the street. I WANT TO BECOME A BETTER RIDER.! SO, what do I need to do.?? I've checked out the local track days and I'm going to attend, but as far as the "science" behind the whole thing, I want advice and stories.... what to do, what not to do, and any personal experience that any of you care to share. I want to be fast----FAST andSAFE , and smart.

HOW HAVE YOU ALL BECOME ONE WITH YOUR BIKE???

Last edited by Bradass; 10-31-2005 at 07:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 03:59 AM

Hum

Have you taken a racing class and one of the many racetracks?

That is the first step (after MSF 1 & 2). Once through that, you will become Zen with your bike. Not before.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 04:13 AM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Send a message via Yahoo to DreamRyder
Def. look into doing trackdays with novice classes.. they will teach you the basics first... once you learn these and become more confident in your bike's ability and you become one with it the speed will come ... It's def. not something you can learn from typed words.. only visual aids and experience will get you where you want to be...

I have become a track addict and try not to miss out on any of trackoholics events (only thing that keeps me from going is when I can't get off work for it) I much more prefer doing the track than testing my luck on the public roads... I still ride the public roads I just save me speed nirvana for the track

E.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

If it's too good to be true... then you must be Dreaming.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 04:39 AM

If you're looking to scuff some knee pucks its definetly track time.
As for the basics, they could be summed up like so.
All inputs should be very smooth. Riding a bike is all about managing traction. A smooth change in direction puts a much smaller load on the tires than a sharp move, so keep all your moves smooth.
You should be very light on the bars. Dont grab them with any more force then you would use to hold a wet sponge without squeezing the water out of it. Make sure your entire arms are relaxed, and laying on the tank.
You're bikes turning ability is a function of the distance between the centerline of the wheels and the center of gravity. The further away the CG is, the more you are going to turn. The easiest way to move the CG is to lean the bike, but the ammount of traction your tires provide decrease as you lean (Most tires are rated for 51deg of lean) So, if you hang of the side of the bike, you are moving the CG, without leaning the bike. Or rather without leaning the bike as much.
Hope that helped

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 04:49 AM

And while you're waiting for your first track day, read this book:

Nick Ienatsch's Sport Riding Techniques
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 06:52 AM

Also try Lee Parks "Total Control High Performance Street Riding Techniques” (Amazon Books) there are several drills in the book for cornering that I have been using in empty parking lots for practice. After about 30 min I was leaning way off the bike and getting my form down. Speeds are low but the empty parking lot means no traffic and I can concentrate on what I'm doing. I'm also seeking track time at Jennings GP for a novice class. I've done a lot of research on this and the track is the ONLY place for true training with a competent instructor. Not that I’m trying to be a racer, just a better rider. Just my
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 08:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
I started a similar thread a month or so ago and I was refered to this thread: link . There is some good reading there. And Read Twist of The Wrist II.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode