Faster than Traffic - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Faster than Traffic

In what situations do you think it's safer to ride faster than traffic? Two instances come to mind: 1 when you're riding in dense traffic in the left lane, passing cars on the right. 2 And there are also those times when you're on a fairly open country road and want to stay in front of lumps of cagers behind you. In other words, do you go to extremes to stay away from cagers--ride however fast to keep well in front of them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 07:00 PM

on higways I like to stay in the right hand position of the far most left lane. You have less to worry about, because people are not getting on and off. Slow down speed up. Like a far right hand lane. If the highway is a couple of lanes wide. That will also eleminate anybody for the most part mearging from your left. I ride in the right lane position, becuaes I feel that, that is the best spot you are going to be seen. I never ride center and left had lane you are hidden. I usually try to only go a bit faster then traffic on my right, if you are flying by people you are a target.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 07:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
Re: Faster than Traffic

Quote:
Originally posted by ESanders2
In what situations do you think it's safer to ride faster than traffic? Two instances come to mind: 1 when you're riding in dense traffic in the left lane, passing cars on the right. 2 And there are also those times when you're on a fairly open country road and want to stay in front of lumps of cagers behind you. In other words, do you go to extremes to stay away from cagers--ride however fast to keep well in front of them?
On surface sreets always, I make exceptions when I'm using a cage as cover when I cross an intersection, doesn't matter how fast I ride there is always; always a moron in a cage who has to try to show me up, I let them pass unless they try to do it in my lane, sitting in a group of cages traveling at the same speed as them is a wreck waiting to happen, they'll move over on you in a heartbeat, the cage drivers seem to think that because they are in the car that you (the motorcyclest) should get the hell out of the way. So I say the more space you can put between you and the rest of the barely conscious pond scum driving the cage the better.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
sitting in a group of cages traveling at the same speed as them is a wreck waiting to happen
Agree with that I sometimes debate whether passing the car in front of me in an open, but no-passing zone road is better than sitting in between a bunch of cages. Usually I opt for the pass
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 07:46 PM

I'll pass on double lines (on raods I know) if I can see far enough ahead. Like you said, better than sitting amongst them.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 07:50 PM

Hi All-

My preferred technique is to stick to the left lane and move 10 m.p.h. faster than surrounding traffic whenever possible. This ensures that I'm approaching most "situations" rather than having them creep-up from behind.

When out on the open highway, I don't run with a pack and either slow or accelerate as needed to ensure that I'm not mixed with a group of automobiles. This prevents one from falling into someone's blindspot.

As mentioned by Fatman below, I'll use a vehicle (the larger the better) as cover when moving through intersections with two or more lanes in each direction. This will prevent some daydreamer from turning left in front of you.

Good luck out there!

~ Blue Jays ~
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Can someone explain to me the using a vehicle for cover concept?

At most intersections the cars turn on green arrows so they wouldn't be turning left at their own discretion right?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ESanders2
Can someone explain to me the using a vehicle for cover concept?
When approaching an intersection on a four-lane road, you stay close to another vehicle in front of, beside or behind you.

The reason is that people who wouldn't think twice about pulling out in front of your motorcycle are less enthusiastic about pulling out in front of an Escalade and a motorcycle....really works....

Quote:
[i]
At most intersections the cars turn on green arrows so they wouldn't be turning left at their own discretion right? [/B]
Only in Cali...Most other places the majority of intersections left turns are at the drivers' discretion....

It's better to always be moving at a speed that takes you slowly through traffic. That way, you control where, when , and how you interact with traffic around you. Staying in the middle of a herd or allowing a lot of traffic to pass you is kind of like casting your fate to the wind. You can't really see the cars approaching you because they're coming at you fom an oblique angle or from the rear. You have to hope they don't drift into your lane as they pass you, or run up on you from behind. If they're not paying attention as they close in on you, well....

I know I'm paying attention, so I'd rather be the one who controls how I approach traffic.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 10:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
Quote:
Originally posted by Rundog
When approaching an intersection on a four-lane road, you stay close to another vehicle in front of, beside or behind you.

The reason is that people who wouldn't think twice about pulling out in front of your motorcycle are less enthusiastic about pulling out in front of an Escalade and a motorcycle....really works....

Only in Cali...Most other places the majority of intersections left turns are at the drivers' discretion....

It's better to always be moving at a speed that takes you slowly through traffic. That way, you control where, when , and how you interact with traffic around you. Staying in the middle of a herd or allowing a lot of traffic to pass you is kind of like casting your fate to the wind. You can't really see the cars approaching you because they're coming at you fom an oblique angle or from the rear. You have to hope they don't drift into your lane as they pass you, or run up on you from behind. If they're not paying attention as they close in on you, well....

I know I'm paying attention, so I'd rather be the one who controls how I approach traffic.
Rundog hit the nail right on the head. I like to think of cross traffic as giant, talking monkey controlled (guided; they aren't really in control) bullets,...with wheels. If you put another giant bullet with wheels between you and cross traffic your chance of survival goes up, a whole bunch!

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.

Last edited by Fatman; 10-31-2005 at 10:00 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 03:11 AM

Well I commute in Houston traffic when the weather is any where near decent and I firmly believe in moving about 10-15 mph faster then traffic. Its much better to be moving and be noticed then to blend in with the traffic. It also keeps most of the danger in front of you with only an occasional cage going faster that catches up from the rear.

That said, if I find a nice cushion area with a pack of cars way in front and a pack of cars in back I will settle in this area until the cushion gets squeezed down by the packs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode