All Supersport/Superbike prices are up! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

All Supersport/Superbike prices are up!

NEW Suzuki GSXR600 - $8799
NEW Suzuki GSXR750 - $9999
Suzuki GSXR1000 - $10,999

REDESIGNED Honda CBR1000RR - $11,299
Honda CBR600RR - $8999
Honda CBR600 F4i - $8499

Kawasaki ZX-6R/RR - $8699/$8899
REDESIGNED Kawaski ZX-10R - $11,199

Yamaha R1 -
$11,599 (50th Anniversary Yellow/Black)
$11,399 (Raven)
$11,299 (Team Yamaha Blue/White )

Yamaha R1 LE - $18,000 (50th Anniversary Yellow/Black)

Yamaha R6s - 8,299 (Raven)
$8,199 (Team Yamaha Blue/White)

NEW Yamaha R6 - $9,499 (50th Anniversary Yellow/Black)
$9,299 (Raven)
$9,199 (Team Yamaha Blue/White)

I think the best bargain here is R6s when it comes to price and performance, while '06 R6 is the most expensive for a 600, $500 less than '06 GSXR750. Funny how Yamaha likes to charge extra for various colors, like BMW cars.

Btw, I was looking at R6's key features, and it read:

Quote:
All-new, light, powerful and bristling with knowledge gained from years of racing, the YZF-R6 is the most advanced production motorcycle Yamaha—or anybody else—has ever built.

The YZF-R6 is the first production motorcycle with a fly-by-wire throttle system—for flawless response under all conditions.

Straight frame concept: developed from the Yamaha M1 GP machine, the YZF-R6’s steering head, swingarm pivot and rear axle all lie in a straight line—for unsurpassed handling—with an all-new inline four-cylinder engine designed for optimal layout and mass centralization.

Slipper-type back torque-limiting clutch greatly facilitates braking/downshifting from high speed.

Formula 1-style air management presents very small frontal area and excellent aerodynamics; new ram-air induction ducts cool, high-pressure air through the steering head for optimal combustion, more horsepower and enhanced engine cooling.
What exactly is fly-by-wire throttle system? All throttle system is cable operated anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 09:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
A "fly by wire" system means that the throttle is not directly connected to the fuel system by cables. It means that when you twist the throttle a computer takes that input and applies it to the fuel system.

All commercial airliners use a fly by wire system for their controls. I do remember seeing a video of an airbus flying into the ground because the fly by wire system failed. Thank god that the R6 doesn't have a steer by wire system!

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 09:15 AM

If you ask me... the price of bikes is getting out of hand. I bought my ZX636 brand new from a dealer in 2003 for $6,400.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 09:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
One more thing...i think its crazy that you can now get a R6s for less than a F4i. I don't care if you dont get inverted forks or radial mount breaks on the R6s thats a great deal in my opinion!

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 09:22 AM

Hi All-

Yowza! This sure is an expensive hobby we've got! My plan is to try to add to bike collection rather than sell them in order to acquire the next bike. If they stay pristine they might be worth something someday to my heirs!

~ Blue Jays ~
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, cheaper than F4i, that's why I figured it's a great bargain. Thanks for the explanation, I have to say, holy shit, Yamaha is at it again with new innovations.

But if it's controlled by computer, why is it still referred as wire? Some modern cars have these systems right?

ZX, seems like it was a good deal. Prices will eventually hit $15k mark at this rate (for standard, not LEs).

Last edited by Z_Fanatic; 10-27-2005 at 09:42 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 12:19 PM

OK some of you guys are taking the whole flry by wire thing a little too literaly. Simply stated a fly by wire system is made up of three components. An input sensor, in this case what is most likely a variable resistor atached to the throttle grip. A computer to proccess the information provided to it by the input sensor, which in this case is the bikes ECU. And the last component would be the electromechanincal actuator atached to whatever device is trying to be manipulated, in this case a small actuator atached to the throttle bodies. The fly by wire term simple comes from the fact that non moving wires are being used instead of moving cables.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 12:59 PM

mini's have a fly by wire system, and come to think of it my delivery truck has it too, thats a 28,000lbs water truck i sure hope it doesn;t fail on that but no reported problems on the mini...so i think the systems are getting better.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Strength and Honor

Right, the "wire" means electrical wires between intelligent components, not cables.

And engineers will tell you that components will always (or should always) fail to a safe condition. So, if a component of the throttle control fails, it'll fail to no throttle (either idle or the engine will shut down), not maximum throttle

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
Right, the "wire" means electrical wires between intelligent components, not cables.

And engineers will tell you that components will always (or should always) fail to a safe condition. So, if a component of the throttle control fails, it'll fail to no throttle (either idle or the engine will shut down), not maximum throttle

My old Triumph usta shut down all the time! Think I paid about $1200 for it.

A few ccs short of a full litre.

Last edited by mac020; 10-27-2005 at 01:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode