caught in Texas - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

caught in Texas

Any Texas riders know how much it cost's and what they all do to you (in Texas) if you get caught by the cops without a motorcycle license? I have it insured AND registered. It's just that Texas makes it such a hassle to get your license. I have allready passed the written part. But you have to come back at 0630 in the morning to make an appointment to THEN come back again to take the riding test. I work nights and two young kids, what a fricken hassle. OH and did I mention that you have to provide the chase car and a licensed driver to drive the chase car. Give me a freaking break!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 08:22 AM

Its really not as big of a deal as you are making it out to be. The whole thing takes about 30 minutes if I remember right, it was a long time ago.

Or you could just take a MSF course to get your license and be done with it.

As far as getting caught its just a ticket and it depends on where you get caught on the price. But they can and probably will impound your bike which is never any fun.

I would do yourself a favor and get the endorsement. A lot of time cops pull over sportbikes knowing that the person probably wont have a MC endorsement.

The little bit of pain in taking the test, and like I said it is no big deal, is small compared to the hassles of getting caught without it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 09:17 AM

Hi Winfield-

Things are tough all over! Just cowboy-up and do what needs to be done. Texas doesn't sound any different from most other states on the topic of motorcycle licensing.

Get a babysitter and take a sickday from work to secure the endorsement. What is your alternative, riding around without a valid license?

~ Blue Jays ~

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 12:23 PM

Im prety sure that here in NY not only will they hit you with a hefty fine and impound your bike but you ability to get your liscence will be suspended for a year. And yur permit will be revoked if you had one.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 12:33 PM

My advice is to take the advanced riders course. One day instead of two and you will learn something no matter how long you have been riding, in my case 20+ years counting dirt. Technically they may give you a hard time as the basic course counts for the drivers test, the advanced course does not, at least according to the DMV in Austin. Go figure the DMV logic on that one. It was worth the gamble for me to save a day and to avoid the "this is the brake lever" briefing. I took my advanced card in and was extremely polite so they took it. Try 8am midweek for the least line.

Last edited by skistewart; 10-27-2005 at 12:35 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Jays
Texas doesn't sound any different from most other states on the topic of motorcycle licensing.
Actually, it does.

In NJ you only have to go to the DMV twice. Once to take the written and vision test then if you passed you schedule a date for the road test. 10 days later you can come to the DMV and take the road test, and you don't need any of that 'chase car' bullshit.. I've never even heard of that.

However I still agree with you. The requirements don't sound too hard to follow, stop being a whining bitch and just get your license..

Last edited by Unas_the_Slayer; 10-27-2005 at 06:40 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 07:12 PM

You could also pay the money and get the license through MSF, should be less than taking the rider course. It does mean you have to sacrifice possibly Sunday.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 07:21 PM

Hi Unas_the_Slayer:

A rider with a regular driver's license without the motorcycle endorsement can show-up without another licensed motorcyclist (whether on another bike or in a chase car...) to take the roadtest in New Jersey? That is quite a departure from other states.

With all the absurd hoops and hurdles we have to address, I get the sensation that many states would just as soon like to see motorcycles go away...but there are too many of us who dearly enjoy the sport.

My other favorite oddball rule is when you have to go get your motorcycle inspected and states require all the reflective crap affixed to your helmet. Yeah, like I'm going to put permanent tape all over my beautiful Arai for one day out of the year! I just use a beater helmet that is COVERED in reflective stuff for that annual nonsense!

~ Blue Jays ~
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 08:04 PM

What up, Winfield....You ever drive down the road and notice those signs that say "Don't mess with Texas?" My ex worked for a County Sheriff in Round Rock, and it seemed they had 3 sentences, no matter what the crime - 60 years, Life, and Death. If the judge had a really good weekend he might throw out a couple 40 years.....

Might not be quite that bad for you, but it will certainly be far more expensive than going on & getting your endorsement.

Could be you get pulled over, maybe on the way to work, bike gets impounded, towed, scratched up, you get a ticket, court date, impound fees, fines, and you STILL have to get the license.

Maybe something happens on the road, and you are at fault. Your insurance doesn't want to cover an unlicensed driver......

Get the paper........
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 08:50 PM

Hi Winfield-

BTW, count me as another vote for obtaining the license via the MSF Ridercourse if that is available in your jurisdiction. Talk about killing two birds with one stone and learning some valuable lessons at the same time!

~ Blue Jays ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode