Bad EBAY experience - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Bad EBAY experience

So it took a year to realize that I got ripped off from eBay. The main reason I got ripped off is becuase I was ignorant but the seller wasn't honest either. Let me tell you what happened. Last September I purchased a 2001 CBRf4i off eBay. Seller claimed the bike was all original and had never been crashed. It was my first bike so I brought a friend who had a bike to look over it which was my second mistake. So I tried to sell the bike recently and found out the bike was definately crashed. It was painfully obvious to the trained eye but not to me.

Now I have a bike that is worth way less than I thought and I had to end my auction of the bike and eat the cost of posting cause I put "never been down" in the description. Now i'm gonna have to wait longer till I get that dream bike of myne.

I guess my point is 1) BUYER BEWARE AND WELL INFORMED before you buy a bike from eBay and 2) ALWAYS HAVE THE BIKE INSPECTED BY A PROFESSIONAL BEFORE YOU BUY!

Sorry for the long and rambling post but I had to vent!!

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 07:15 PM

what were the tell-tale signs of crash? sorry to hear it.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 07:25 PM

Leave the auction up. Tell people you meant it in the sexual sense. You can assure them that the bike has never given anyone a blowjob.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 07:38 PM

as oppose to a bike that has??

point the way, wouldn't mind even if the tank bra is loose.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Well the 2 biggest things were that there were some scratches on the frame behind the left fairing. You could see them if you looked very closely. The second thing was that the shift lever was slightly bent. The third thing was that the peg feeler on the left hand side was broken off.

post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 04:42 AM
Strength and Honor

Have you considered contacting Ebay? I'm sure they'd ask if you contacted the seller first, but its worth a shot. The worst that can happen is that you'll be denied.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bittersweetryan
Well the 2 biggest things were that there were some scratches on the frame behind the left fairing. You could see them if you looked very closely. The second thing was that the shift lever was slightly bent. The third thing was that the peg feeler on the left hand side was broken off.
Are you sure its crash damage? the bike might have just been dropped...

post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

At this point i'm not 100% sure about anything at this point. I'll take a bunch of pictures tonight and post them and see what you guys think.

The marks aren't all parrallel and very dark, but it also doesn't look like it could have happened if it was just dropped.

Here are the only 2 pictures I have of the damage right now:

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 05:24 AM

Hard to tell from the pictures, (I cant even see the damage in the second one). But it most certanly could be drop damage.
Look at the scratches.. if they are long (2"+) and all go in one direction, then its crash. If the surface looks like a cheese grader, with small scratches going in whatever directions, it was probly a drop.

post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 05:34 AM

Hi All-

If it provides any comfort, that minor damage on the passenger peg could have been caused by parking the motorcycle very close to a rough cinderblock wall in a garage.

I painted my garage and then affixed thick acoustic padding in my old place to prevent that exact kind of damage because I wanted to fit both my motorcycle and vehicle in the modestly-sized garage.

~ Blue Jays ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode