I found this article while surfing the net at work
I think everyone needs to read it.

http://www.ridehsta.com/html/safety.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 01:43 PM

WTF?
Quote:
...stressing strong, forceful inputs at the handlebar...
I started on the article thinking it was going to be another one of those "Keep some ability in reserve to deal with unexpected situations". Instead I find this guy recommending you hamfist the bars. If you want an upclose and personal view of the local ditch, please make some strong, forcefull inputs. Otherwise, please keep your inputs light.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

did you like the article

I realize you probably didn't find it informative.. However most everyone I have talked with, many of which have raced, completely agree with the article. They found it very informative, but we are all left to our own opinions and views. That is what is great about the internet

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I'd rather spend a Sunday in the mountains riding at The Pace than a Sunday at the racetrack, it's that enjoyable. Countersteering is the name of the game; smooth, forceful steering input at the handlebar relayed to the tires' contact patches through a rigid sport bike frame.

I think he's smoking crack!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

just a question

have you guys wrecked a bunch....
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 01:56 PM

Most race instructers will tell you not to FLICK it into corners, or make HARSH inputs to the bars, I have always been tought, (by racers, and instructors) to give light input to the bars, and also to use more body steering than FLICKING the bike, smoother.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by izzybo69
I think he's smoking crack!
+2 (Where are ya hiding izzy? I havent heard a kawi bashing comment in too long)

Seriosly, if you favor sport touring over race track, thats your thing. Fine by me. Obviously there are different requirments for the street, and he makes a fine point of illustrating that. And then the articel devolves into crap.
Quote:
Countersteering is the name of the game; smooth, forceful steering input at the handlebar relayed to the tires' contact patches through a rigid sport bike frame. Riding at The Pace is certainly what bike manufacturers had in mind when sport bikes evolved to the street.
Countersteering is the name of the game if you are on a bike. Period. If you cant countersteer, you cant ride.
The he goes to tell ya how race bikes evolved for the street.. BS. Racereps are virtually identical to whats being raced, no street evolution there. And the "Street" bikes are different in that they are cheaper to build.
Hell even the author contradicts himself in the next statement.
Quote:
But the machine isn't the most important aspect of running The Pace because you can do it on anything capable of getting through a corner.
What? The street evolved machine isnt important all of a sudden?

My point is, you want to ride agressivly on the street and not use brakes? thats fine. I've known some guys whos favorite game was cruising down a long hill (with many corners) with the engine off. That was an all together different race.
But please dont make forcefull inputs. The idea is to be smooth. Stop being smooth and the bike will chunk you like a rag doll. Ask me how I know this.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 01:59 PM

Re: just a question

Quote:
Originally posted by zdavis
4 and counting....

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Quite the opposite, i have actually never crashed on the street, or track, that was my fault in 8 yrs of riding. I have had two wrecks, one a car pulled out in front of me, and the other someone lost fluids at the track in a corner, and 6 of us went down.

Also, i ride in the top race class at the track, and usually am in the top 10 of the fastest guys on the track.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
[B Ask me how I know this. [/B]
How u no dis? . What happens when you flick the bike within limit with plenty of traction on the side? Tires shouldn't wash out, unless it'a mental thing going too wide in a turn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode