Anyone use headlight flashers? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Anyone use headlight flashers?

Just wondering if anyone has used these, I believe they're around 100. Also called headlight modulators.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 04:16 PM

Hi ESanders2-

You'll find a few interesting headlight modulator threads scattered around in here...

~ Blue Jays ~
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 10:22 PM

Some character with a cruiser had one & though not a good rider he sort of lead the other rather new cruiser riders.

Darn thing sort of drove me crazy in trying to understand what he was trying to say when I was coming towards him. So often I would not know it was him, but the lights going on & off gave some strange signals to oncomming traffic. I have seen several close accidents when some cage drivers hit the brakes & aim for the shoulder of the road & in some cases those behind them would not know what was going on.

A blinking light usually means the police, ambulance, Hwy Dept vehicles trying to get others to watch out for traffic or workers to a car/truck trying to get people to notice behind them is an extremely wide vehicle.

Thank goodness he no longer has one, possibly no longer rides, or has moved to some other place, but that was the only one & I have not seen him during '05.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 11:01 PM

But it does get attention.

I think the modulator for the tail light is better, it keeps the tail gater aware of the rider, as very often they don't notice the rear brake lights when it's solid red.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 11:04 AM

Some day I am going to ask an RCMP Constable, hwy patrol, for I would not be surprised they might outlaw them. NOTE this is just my thinking since I only saw one & no one else has one.

I agree with you Fantic about the improvement in the tail lamp/ stop lamp is far more sensible.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 11:48 AM

Hi All-

There really aren't any disadvantages to a cager erroneously believing that you're an approaching police officer. It may actually give them pause to consider that you're not somehow riding at 30 m.p.h., but that you're actually doing the speed limit of 65 m.p.h.

It always shocks me how a motorist won't make a quick left in front of a dumptruck loaded with gravel or a speeding tractor-trailer...but it's nothing at all for them to jump before an approaching motorcycle. I also notice this phenomenon when riding my bicycle on steep downhills near my home. It's like, "...Hello!? I'm riding as fast or faster than cars here!..."

I'm very interested in looking into the modulators both front and rear. It's a nice feature that they automatically disengage during dark conditions or at night.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Jays

It always shocks me how a motorist won't make a quick left in front of a dumptruck loaded with gravel or a speeding tractor-trailer...but it's nothing at all for them to jump before an approaching motorcycle.

I think it's a lot easier to tell how fast large trucks are moving, thus people turn in front of them just as much as any other vehicle. Or NJ drivers are just like 'fuck it' and hit the gas.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

I know this goes against what most people observe, but I've had more instances where cage drivers waited to pull out, even when I was at quite some distance; whereas in my car people seem to pull out closer to me. I don't know if this is b/c I'm wearing flourescent and the colors make me look closer, or possibly bright headlights (?). In any case it may just be luck up until this point.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 02:29 PM

+1 To that i have noticed the same thing. Dont want to mess it up but i hope it continues that way.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 04:03 PM
jrm

I've used my headlight modulator off and on, so to speak, for a few years. It DOES get people's attention, but in a dense, urban setting I sometimes feel their random reactions to it may endanger me more. I can see both sides of the fence, the pros and cons.

I've had people in front of me pull over, too. Maybe they think the local Police got new bikes and leathers...

A friend of mine was killed when a driver pulled out in front of him. We will never know if his hi-beam or a modulator would have helped him a bit or not--he was NOT a proponent of either. Since then, I've used it much more. If it is daylight and the modulator is not on, the hi-beam sure is.

Sometimes I worry that it annoys other motorists/riders. Other drivers do much more annoying things, so my worry never lasts too long. My option to choose.

Flashing rear lights are unquestionably a GREAT idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode