Cold Weather Gear... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Cold Weather Gear...

What is everyone's favorite cold weather gear?

I am in the process of shopping for a jacket and gloves for the winter. I usually dont ride when it gets cold, but this season I would like to.

1.) Favorite Jacket and why...

2.) Favorite Gloves and why...

3.) Favorite Pants and why...

4.) Nessassary accessories and why...

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 05:21 PM

Re: Cold Weather Gear...

Quote:
Originally posted by Hendog24
1.) Favorite Jacket and why...

2.) Favorite Gloves and why...

3.) Favorite Pants and why...

4.) Nessassary accessories and why...

Thanks.
1) I use the same jacket year 'round (textile). It's a Motoline Startec (mine's yellow / black). Has a removeable liner that I use in colder months. It was the first jacket I bought.

2) Dririder Adventure gloves. Not as much protection from cold as I wanted, but they're comfy as hell. The Nordic gloves are warmer, but they didn't feel as comfortable.

3) Dririder Nordic pants. Gets down to around freezing in my area in Winter and these pants have kept me warm as toast. Armour in the knees. Side zip keeps wet weather out of your crotch too! Very comfy pants.

4) I also use a neck-warmer, that tucks into my helmet, on really cold days.

I'll be buying all new gear next year while I'm in the States. Going to deck myself out in leather.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 05:33 AM

Aerostich Roadcrafter, with polypro long johns, and a polarfleece pullover.

Gloves are Tourmaster Winter. Waterproof and windproof.

The most important piece in my opinion is using a balaclava for the head and neck.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 07:46 AM

Since it's starting to get a bit chilly here (hah! 50 degrees!) I've been thinking of getting a few extra pieces to keep the cold out for longer trips.

Basically what kills me is the wind, there's not much of a windscreen on my 500, and I did 100 miles in the dark last night in a full tuck to keep it from freezing my jimmy off. (btw, whole new respect for motorcycle racers, getting off the bike after being tucked in for so long... I hurt muscles I didn't even know I had...) I have mesh pants and a mesh jacket with a liner, but even with the liner in the jacket and jeans underneath the pants the wind is still pretty... invigorating, so here's my thought. Would a rain suit be good for keeping the wind off of me? There seem to be some really nice pants + jacket sets from First Gear in the $100 range, and then I'd be all set in case it starts to rain on me too. I figure I'll pick up a couple no brainer items too, like a balaclava and a pair of glove liners.

So, anyone have any thoughts/experience about using a rainsuit to keep the wind and the cold out?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 07:58 AM

Yep, a rainsuit will work to keep the wind out. I usually carry a rainsuit jacket and throw that on over the Aerostich when it's really really cold.

Keeping your torso and head warm is the key, it allows more blood circulation to keep your hands/feet warm.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 09:45 AM

Ditto on the TourMaster Winter Elite gloves, you can get them here:

http://www.newenough.com/tour_master...loves_page.htm

They are outstanding, and have a built-in rain cover that folds out from the gauntlet. My wife calls them my Sleestak gloves.

And a balaclava. You'll freeze if your neck is exposed. I use this one from Aerostich:

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php...0&cat=0&page=1

I have a suit that I use just for winter, it's a waterproof suit made by Triumph. No vents = no air flow, it's totally unwearable in the warm months but just the ticket for the wintertime. I wear street clothes and a fleece jacket underneath.

I wear my regular boots with wool socks. Thinking about getting these though:

http://www.aerostich.com/product.php...cat=302&page=1
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mkoob79
...So, anyone have any thoughts/experience about using a rainsuit to keep the wind and the cold out?
Problem with rainsuits is they aren't insulated. Sure, they keep the wind and rain out, but they won't keep you warm.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
Problem with rainsuits is they aren't insulated. Sure, they keep the wind and rain out, but they won't keep you warm.
Yes but if you've got regular gear on with some insulation factor, but it leaks through vents or fabric weave or whatever, the rain suit acts as a first line of defense against the wind.

So no, it won't keep you warm all by its lonesome, but it will help your other gear keep you warm. And when its cold, every little bit helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode