Repeal of Helmet Laws - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Repeal of Helmet Laws

Tyson's agency recently examined Florida information and concluded motorcyclists' death rates went up 55 percent after the repeal of the helmet law.

Quote:
Motorcycle deaths rise after repeal of Fla. helmet laws

By Melanie Payne
[email protected]
Published by news-press.com on October 18, 2005

• Tracy Seymour of Fort Myers rides away from Cape Coral's Bike Night on S.E. 47th Terrace on her 1996 Harley Heritage Softail on Oct. 8. She says she always wears her helmet when she is traveling on the interstate, but on local roads, she usually does not. "It restricts your freedom that comes with it," she says. Todd Stubing/The News-Press

One way to increase the number of people who die in motorcycle accidents is to get rid of mandatory helmet laws.

That happened on July 1, 2000, when Gov. Jeb Bush signed into law a bill that essentially made helmets optional for motorcyclists over age 21.

Five years later, motorcycle deaths in the state and Lee County are escalating.

Traffic deaths involving motorcycles account for more than 10 percent of Lee County's 122 fatalities this year although motorcycles make up only 4 percent of passenger vehicles registered in the county.

Of the 13 motorcycle deaths, police say only three riders wore helmets. In one case, it's not known whether the rider had a helmet.

"Every state we look at the pattern is the same," said Rae Tyson, with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. "People stop wearing helmets and more people get killed."

Tyson's agency recently examined Florida information and concluded motorcyclists' death rates went up 55 percent after the repeal of the helmet law.

"We believe helmets are an effective way to reduce injury and death," Tyson said, "but it's the state's responsibility to get people to use them."

When a similar report came out about Louisiana, the Legislature reinstated helmet laws, Tyson said.

Florida legislators aren't moving to do the same.

On the federal level, bills to require states to have mandatory helmet laws or lose highway money have failed to gain steam.

That was how it worked in the 1970s until states started to repeal their helmet laws, said Judie Stone, president of the Washington, D.C.-based Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety.

"States that repealed it saw a huge increase in motorcycle deaths and then saw (the numbers) go back down again after reinstating a mandatory helmet law," Stone said.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 19 states require motorcyclists to wear helmets. Only three have no requirements: Colorado, Illinois and Iowa.

Cyclists say other factors, not just helmets, account for the high percentage of riders killed on the road.

They say the rise in popularity of motorcycles among baby boomers such as Norma Eveland translates into more accidents.

"You have a lot more motorcyclists out on the road who are very inexperienced," said Eveland, executive director of the March of Dimes Southwest Coast division.

Eveland, who has been riding for only four years, wears her helmet most of the time, she said.

"I'm beginning to feel that I should wear one. It's foolish not to have one on," she said.

But part of the experience of riding a motorcycle is the sense of freedom it gives, she said. "And there's something about a helmet that squelches that experience."

Riders should have a choice, she said, especially since the value of a helmet is debatable.

"In a lot of the accidents, even if they had a helmet on, it doesn't save them," Eveland said. "And sometimes I think even with a helmet I might not want to live. I don't want to be lying in a bed with a feeding tube."
http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs....76/1002/NEWS01

So it's facts vs 'freedom.' I'll take the facts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 04:20 PM

Re: Repeal of Helmet Laws

Quote:
"...part of the experience of riding a motorcycle is the sense of freedom it gives and there's something about a helmet that squelches that experience."
And there's something about crashing WITHOUT a helmet that squelches your head.

What a f*cking moronic statement.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Lot of new riders, and lot of them refuse to wear a helmet. I believe it's up to the family to decide whether they wanna pull the feeding tube. You lost your right to choose when you got on the bike.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 05:56 PM

I've spent a lot of years in colorado and always saw people not wearing helmets. I think that about 7 out of 10 sportbikers had helmets on, and about 1 out of 20 HD and cruiser riders were wearing them
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 08:05 PM

I see the helmet law the same as the seat belt law. You shouldn't tell us to protect our selves. We are grown men and women, we can make educated decissions.

If you stupid enough to ride with out a helmet well I guess that is your choice. If your stupid enough to drive your car w/o your sealt belt on that should be your choice also.
I think its stupid that we have to have laws like this in place.

HEY DUMB ASS PUT YOU SEAT BELT ON,
HEY DUMB ASS PUT ON A HELMET.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EdgeRanger
I see the helmet law the same as the seat belt law. You shouldn't tell us to protect our selves. We are grown men and women, we can make educated decissions...
Yeah, and EMS should have the right to not assist injured or dying wankers who choose to not wear a helmet / seatbelt.

Fact remains that these people have a legal duty-of-care to provide such care and, as such, I see it as no big f*cking deal that a law tells me to wear one to help prevent the need for care in the first place.

That morons die every day in accidents they could have survived proves, beyond doubt, that grown men and women don't always make educated decisions.

Build a bridge.

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 01:29 AM

At least it's cheaper for the insurance folks. My 8 hour stay after my accident was close to 6k. Had I not worn my helmet I'm sure my accident would have been a lot cheaper. I don't think it costs a whole lot to scrape a dead body off the street.

I really don't care either way. I will always wear a helmet. I feel completely naked without it.

Off topic: To those who have had a get off. Do you feel like the Hospital staff and rescue squads treated you like shit?
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by phatkidwit1eye
At least it's cheaper for the insurance folks...I don't think it costs a whole lot to scrape a dead body off the street...
Yeah, but it's a sh*tload more expensive for your family who then have to pay to burn / bury your stupid a**e...

Please tell me you were being sarcastic.

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 01:15 PM

If helmets are an effective piece of safety equipment, is it OK to lie about their effectiveness in order to get people to wear them? Or would it be better to tell the truth, lest your lie be discovered, casting doubt even on the real benefit?

Do-gooders in the press, including Ms. Payne, the author of the article at the beginning of this thread, come down in favor of the lying thing. You see, she and the rest of the news media are more intelligent, better educated, and all around more virtuous people than the great unwashed among the general public—i.e., you and me. So it's their job to lie to us—it's for our own good. And the chance that someone would discover the lie in this case is remote. After all, it involves math. And even members of the news media don't understand math, so how could Joe Motorcycle possibly figure it out?

The 55% figure cited in the article refers to total motorcycle deaths and doesn't take into account the skyrocketing popularity of motorcycling in Florida. That is the deception. By ignoring the increase in the number of bikes—which, coincidentally, occurred in the years following helmet law repeal—the news media (and others who think they know what's best for us) attempt to make us think that helmet law repeal caused a far greater number of deaths than it actually did.

Attached is a chart showing the number of motorcycle deaths in Florida per registered motorcycle from 1993 through 2002 (2002 is the latest year for which registrations are available by state). This is exactly the same data NHTSA used in their report, the full text of which is available here (PDF).

Florida's helmet law was repealed on 7/1/2000. Decide for yourself how much effect it had.
Attached Images
File Type: gif flmcrate.gif (11.6 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by DataDan; 10-23-2005 at 01:25 PM.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 10-23-2005, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DataDan
...the news media (and others who think they know what's best for us) attempt to make us think that helmet law repeal caused a far greater number of deaths than it actually did...
Some figures for your perusal...

Quote:
...New motorcycle registrations in Florida spiked from 219,000 in 2000 to 417,000 last year - a 91 percent jump, according to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. Meanwhile, new car registrations in that period rose only 18 percent.

Some experts say baby boomers are driving the trend. Young or old, though, the study suggests a greater share of those killed in motorcycle accidents are not wearing helmets...

Consider the study's results:

In the three years before the helmet law was repealed on July 1, 2000, 9 percent of the 515 motorcyclists killed in crashes were not wearing a helmet.

In the three years after the repeal, 61 percent of the 933 fatally injured motorcyclists were not helmeted...
Did I read that right???

Before repeal: 9% of 515 m/c'ists killed were not wearing a helmet. That's about 46 people.

AFTER repeal: 61% of 933 m/c'ists killed were not wearing a helmet. That's about 569 people.

So, even though bike rego's jumped 91%, there was a 1137% increase in non-helmeted biker deaths.

To quote you again...

Quote:
Originally posted by DataDan
...Decide for yourself how much effect it had.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode