Restraint - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Restraint

Every time I ride, I feel like I am fighting against the part of myself that wants to go faster, harder. I spend most of my time riding, it seems like, talking myself out of riding faster than my better judgement considers safe.

I commute every day, and most of the roads are wide open, middle-of-nowhere kind of roads--no hidden drives, no intersections, just cow pastures without much traffic. I try to keep it just over the speed limit, like maybe 5 or 7, but usually get this craving to push it harder.

Anyone else feel this way? Does it go away after awhile?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 05:59 PM

Re: Restraint

Quote:
Originally posted by ESanders2
...Anyone else feel this way? Does it go away after awhile?
Yes.

No.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 06:32 PM

What is this word you speak of... 'restraint'??

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 09:37 PM

Quote:

It's self-discipline, and if it ever does go away, you'll go away, too.....

Try going over to Cherry Glen Rd. Take the road to Lake Berryessa. You won't be able to speed much, but the road has some nice curves which will keep you from getting bored.....
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 10:08 PM

I get it all the time, I can't do nothing about it so I restrain myself for the first for the first 5 miles, then I up it, I'm a fool but I can't help it......I need a race track, god help me when I get a big bike.
"HOWEVER I ONLY RIDE AS THE ROAD CONDITION ALLOW"......to many cars..SLOW DOWN.....unfamiliar roads....SLOW DOWN...ect.
Just ride within your limits and conditions allow and watch out for cagers(or cows).
Safe Riding.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 03:33 AM

Have you had a get off yet? Thats one good way of reinforcing a self preservation instinct. I would suggest that you listen to that inner voice and to others and ride within your limits.

Only you can decide how fast you should be going depending on conditions, your confidence, your pocket book (tickets can get expensive). My philosophy is to always keep 10 to 20% in reserve at least when pushing it. This allows for "oh sh*t" moments that come up.

Besides that, speed if you dont mind the ticket. My record is clean and I can take defensive driving for anything under 25 over, so I usually run 15 to 20 over the speed limit when just cruising along. Once the DD is used up I will probably slow it down for a year, which will be hard.

Restraint is all about weighing consequences. Fun factor vs ticket. High speed vs death. Just make resonable choices and listen to that little voice inside of your head, its talking to you for a reason.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Appreciate everyone's input. I didnt want to make it sound like I ride like a maniac or anything--truth is i ride really conservatively but sometimes feel like going a little faster. Around traffic I'm always very careful; sometime too careful I find cages tailgating b/c they want me to speed up.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Every time I ride, I feel like I am fighting against the part of myself that wants to go faster, harder. I spend most of my time riding, it seems like, talking myself out of riding faster than my better judgement considers safe.

I commute every day, and most of the roads are wide open, middle-of-nowhere kind of roads--no hidden drives, no intersections, just cow pastures without much traffic. I try to keep it just over the speed limit, like maybe 5 or 7, but usually get this craving to push it harder.

Let me guess, you havent wrecked yet.

The best way to take care of those urges is a race track. Go there, and find out just how fast your mind tells you to go.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Have not wrecked-

How expensive is time at the track?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 07:59 AM

There are two reasons to practice restraint. One, the law would prefer you at least try. Two, your family doesn't feel like getting rid of you yet. I try not to worry about reason one much. That really takes the fun out of riding. Who wants to go 15 and 30 in the canyons. And yes, my license is always at the max for points and my insurance sucks, but you got to pay to play. Focus on #2, self preservation is a main objective. I ride a couple of notches below my limit, and never attempt anything on the road that I haven't practiced on an extremely dangerous canyon road with no guard rails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode