Paint! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Paint!

Well its winted time, which means fixing all the damage from the season. I'm thinking about painting myself. I got a gun, and A friend got a compressor. Never really painted much of anything, but why not try right?
The plan is to use the stock paint as background an have a few gold designs. If I understand the process correctly, It should be.

Sand the crap out of it, use bondo to fill in any damages that cant be popped off.
Primer
Paint gold.
Cover the designs with tape, cut to shape
Paint base color
Remove the tape, paint clear.

Is that right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 02:31 PM

Looks good, but its not the steps that you have to worry about, its the technique. Get some plastic and metal to practice on first so you can see how the paint goes on to each part. This way you don't have to resand a messed up part and start over. Good luck and don't forget the pics of the process from start to finish.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

I'll document the whole thing, tearing the bike down, sanding, rebuilding suspension, and anything else I decide to do...

Yeah I'm afraid of getting some runs... I'm abit trigger happy..

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 03:29 PM

Re: Paint!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Well its winted time, which means fixing all the damage from the season. I'm thinking about painting myself.
If you get damaged, I would suggest leathers to prevent the damage. Also I don't know how long paint is going to stick to you... For that, maybe tattoos?

Good luck!

Last edited by ddreg; 10-20-2005 at 03:31 PM.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 05:51 PM

I sanded down my eclipse cage a year ago; it basically took me three to four weeks with a power sander and some fine grit paper to get all of the clearcoat off. i tried to get most of the base coat off, down to the grey primer, but couldn't get it perfect. new paint goes on easy, but the sanding and prep work is the hardest and most important part. i can still see a few blotches where the underwork wasn't done perfectly.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 03:42 AM

I helped a friend sand and paint his old interceptor years ago. And Esanders is right, all the hard work is in the sanding. Sand, bondo, sand some more.

As long as your prep work is good the painting should go real smooth.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 08:08 AM

Re: Re: Paint!

Quote:
Originally posted by ddreg
If you get damaged, I would suggest leathers to prevent the damage. Also I don't know how long paint is going to stick to you... For that, maybe tattoos?

Good luck!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 08:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to 97yzfinwyo Send a message via Yahoo to 97yzfinwyo
water seperator

Vash make sure you get a water seperator or filter for the air compressor line. Sucks when it spits water into your paint with out it!!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 08:17 AM

Yes the prep work is vital to a good paint job. Make sure you get the right color primer. It can save alot of paint time by not needing as many coats. Make sure you get the bondo that flexes. If not much is needed you can get it in a tube that has 2 sides to it. You push down both sides at the same time and the amount you need to mix up is done for you. As far as sanding the parts that are not damaged. You dont need to do heavy sanding. Just rough it up.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 08:24 AM

Re: Re: Paint!

Quote:
Originally posted by ddreg

Good luck!

I had to go back up and read it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode