nitrous on carburetors? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

nitrous on carburetors?

can you run a nitrous kit on a carbureted bike? im looking for a BIG gain for cheap. takin an old beater to the track. Is nitrous possible or if not what other things can i do for big gains in power without looping the bike while accelerating ie. sprockets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 08:53 AM

yes it's possible and much easier to install/calibrate on carb than EFI
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 09:43 AM

Gearing for the 1/4 mile is going to be your cheapest and most bang for the buck fix, besides nitrous that is.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

more info on the

"yes it's possible and much easier to install/calibrate on carb than EFI"

explain i always thought it was a ton of work chaning carbs to EFI.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 11:14 AM

changing carbs to EFI is lots of work... I wouldn't do it. N02 is easiest calibrated on a carb model because you can easily remove main/pilot/needle jets and or adjust air screws with minimal tools and tech knoledge... with a EFI you must have a computer aftermarket ingnition system among many other things to calibrate the correct air/fuel mixture. You do understand how the air/fuel mixture is impacted by N02? You will need to make many test runs and prob need to use a dyno to tune the bike unless you have a starting point that is reliable for your bike, fuel used, N02 jets, altitude etc. This is not like the "fast and furious" just slap on N02 and go... there is much testing involved if you want the bike to live.... I would suggest contacting several companys that will sell kits for your bike and ask their recommendations.. they may have done the homework for you. Even if they have done the work and have a solution for you, the risk of losing the engine is very real... you need to ask yourself...

how many miles on the engine...
what is the compression compared to spec.
Has it been serviced regularly ? oil valves etc.
are the crank bearings and others in good condition...
do I need to upgrade my pistions....
is my stock timing okay for NO2 or must I retard it?
What type of results do I really expect?
If it's a used bike and you don't realy know what condition it's in then I wouldn't use more than a 25 shot. If you want to keep the bike in running condition.....

Do you know the impact of running N02 thru your engine?

it comes down to this....
what are the expected results... can you realistically achieve them.

how much research are you willing to do......

And the most important.....
HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU WANT TO SPEND w/ the risk associated.

you may invest $200 bucks and blow an engine that will cost you 1500 to repair/replace.

GL
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 11:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
like they all said, adding NO2 to a carbruated bike is possible and may even be easier, you must make sure that your bike gets enough fuel; every nitrous kit i've seen includes the fuel pumps and seloniods to do the job, personally i think a turbo charger would be better in the long run.

and if the bike is an old beater, i would look at the condition of the motor first, a rebuild might be in order, (about an 800 to 1000 dollars in labor job + parts) and at the very least I would invest in a good clutch and heavy racing springs to hold the extra power.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 01:58 AM

depending on the tpy eof system that you choose, it could be just as easy to tune nitrous for either form of fuel delivery. My suggestion would be a wet kit. Wet kits deliver the nitrouse and extra fuel through the same nozzle. And since the extra fuel entering the engine is delivered seperate from the fuel injectors or carburator jets, you should nopt have to tune either of those two components. All you would have to change to adujust the mixture would be the jets on the nitrous nozzle. Most people tune using the fuel jet on the nitrous nozzle because changing the nitrous jet will change the total potential increase from the kit. Changing the fuel jet will allow you to get the most power out of the amount of nitrous you haev decided to use.

Dry kits on the other hand only injects nitrous. With those kits you need to either tune the carbs or the fuel injection in order to maintain a proper a/f ratio. And that works just fine but when riding without the kit activated you bike will be pig rich.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 06:19 AM

loud412 your crazy.... dry kit is the way to go for his aplication...

btw what's nitrouse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode