Help! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Help!

My tires are, well, not as round as they used to be. I use my bike for commuting daily and they're aren't a lot of curves on my ride to work. Is this normal? They're certainly not worn down very much (I've got 2,200 mi on my tires) b/c the treads are still thick all the way around.

Advice either way...? I'm not sure if this is normal or not, or how to fix it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 06:29 PM

Not sure that I understand the question, but if you tires are wearing in the middle excessively due to highway touring you should get a (for your next set) touring tire. Some of them have a slightly harder compound in the middle of the tread witch allows for higher mileage and a softer compound on the outsides for good grip when cornering or aggressive riding.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 06:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
Re: Help!

Quote:
Originally posted by ESanders2
My tires are, well, not as round as they used to be. I use my bike for commuting daily and they're aren't a lot of curves on my ride to work. Is this normal? They're certainly not worn down very much (I've got 2,200 mi on my tires) b/c the treads are still thick all the way around.

Advice either way...? I'm not sure if this is normal or not, or how to fix it
yep it's normal, you'll get a big flat spot ing the middle as the tire "squares off" from wear in the middle, find some curves for godsake and use the rest of the tires, a sportbike without curves is like food without taste.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 07:06 PM

My tyres suffer from the same thing. I spend way more time on the highway than twisties, though I do hit them as much as possible.

Nothing to be done except as stated.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Sorry my original post wasn't more clear (as well as bad grammer )

I just wanted to know whether the flat spot was going to make the tires unusable, or whether I could continue using them until the tread wears all the way down.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 12:20 AM

I'm the opposite, I commute every day about 8mls back and forth and do about 100-150 miles on the weekends (pushing the tyres pretty hard) and the sides get a serious scrubbing my last set of tyres (commuters) got about 3600 miles. I've now put on a set of Dunlop Sports/Tourers and it's made a huge difference to handling and wear.
The other option for me was to find some straighter roads.......Not an option!
If I was you I'd take a 50mile spin through some twisties every couple of weeks if possible, if not tyre choice is the option as "Hendog24" said tourers or sport/toures are the way to go and don't forget to check your tyre pressure often. Always.
Good luck.

Sorry! To answer your question they are fine to ride on as long as you are not down to the wear markers but they will handle a bit strange when turning into corners.

Last edited by rooboy; 10-17-2005 at 12:22 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 07:09 AM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Send a message via Yahoo to DreamRyder
my everyday bike does the same thing when I ride to work all the time.. there are no curves between me and work ... and it does affect the bikes ability to lean into a turn smoothly when I do go out and hit the back roads... the bike/tire fights you and then all of a sudden it drops in.. making you miss your turn in point or cause you to leave your line and screw things up.. so I would say if you are only gonna do straight miles don't worry about it... if you want to hit the curves.. BE CAREFUL!

a couple folks suggested that I do a burn out and lean the bike left to right to round the tire off but I dont' trust myself doing that with my 929... the old 89CBR 600 I could.. but not this one

I found I got the most mileage with the Bridgestone Battalax BT012 .. they have a harder compound down the center and softer on the edges.. I used these for my street tire and trackday tire when I was using my 929 for the track and they were GREAT! I have had over 5500 miles on them and they are now ready to replace due to my wear marks just showing up and was starting to get a flat area ....

E.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

If it's too good to be true... then you must be Dreaming.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DreamRyder

I found I got the most mileage with the Bridgestone Battalax BT012 .. they have a harder compound down the center and softer on the edges.. I used these for my street tire and trackday tire when I was using my 929 for the track and they were GREAT! I have had over 5500 miles on them and they are now ready to replace due to my wear marks just showing up and was starting to get a flat area ....

E.
i don't see how you gals/guys get so many miles on your tires, the original equipment BT 12s that came on the z1000 were shot in 3000 miles, I'm experimenting with tomahawk re-treads right now they stick as good as anything out there and they seem to wear about the same, i am getting good milage out of the current front.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 08:32 PM

I've got a set of Bridgestones, and the BT014 rear is about ready to be replaced at around 5k miles...Not bad. I had on a set of Metzler Sportecs before that, and they felt really good, but the rear only lasted about 4k..........
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rundog
I've got a set of Bridgestones, and the BT014 rear is about ready to be replaced at around 5k miles...Not bad. I had on a set of Metzler Sportecs before that, and they felt really good, but the rear only lasted about 4k..........
this is really mind boggling to me, i run the proper air pressure, i really don't ride super hard (i don't think i do) maybe its my weight, I'm 6'1" and 240 lbs but that would seem to factor into front tire wear with stopping 700+pounds of motorcycle/rider i don't use the brakes much out here so my front tire is doing exceptionally well, maybe i need to back off the loud handle a bit? maybe I just need to accept the fact that the z1000 eats rear tires.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode