Whats high mileage for a bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Whats high mileage for a bike?

I found a 2001 SV650S for my first bike for 2,200 bucks. It looks great except for a scratch on the front right side. It has 24 Thousand miles on it. Its completely stock. Should I be weary of the miles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 05:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Miles don't mean too much if the person has serviced it correctly and frequently.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 07:01 AM
Strength and Honor

There's little reason to believe a bike won't last into the 100k miles. Tests run by others on how long some motors will last when run WITHOUT oil suggest these things are pretty amazing. Its the crashes that usually take out sportbikes, not the mileage and motor.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 07:58 AM

Half of new sportbikes dont see 10k miles. They are wrecked or stolen well before that. Then half of the remaining dont see 20k. (Sorry about my estimates. I cannot remember the exact #'s but it was something like half.)

Then the guys who still have a bike with 30k on them end up keeping them forever or turning them into a track bike or selling it to a freind...ect. That is why you rarely see them with 50k on them.

I have a freind with an R1 that beats the shit out of it. It has 90k on it! He is pretty good about servicing it, but he runs it hard all of the time.

What does that tell you? These things will run for a long time if you maintain them and fix the small stuff when it breaks.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Great, Now I just need to see his service records and such if he has them. I also found a bike for a thousand more. Its a naked bike and it has only 8k on it.

Searching for bikes can get frustrating
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 07:15 PM

The one guy in Britian put 850,000 miles on a Honda VFR(440,000 on the first engine, the rest on the second engine).
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 10:07 PM

I agree with the posts that opine that mileage is not a factor unless it is way up there, with two caveats.

1) Resale. A bike that has over 10-12,000 miles on it and is less than 5 years old, although it may have "average" mileage, will have a diminished sale value. There are so many bikes available that have real low miles, folks just pass up bikes with higher mileage, meaning you have to make the price real low.

2) Modifications. What if any modifications have been made to the motor? If the motor has been massaged, its life may be diminished. For example, increasing the displacement, while it may provide more power, it also produces more heat for the motor to get rid of. Also more vibration. Also, the gaskets may have to be custom made for pistons, etc. I am all for modifications, I have a bike that has had some serious modifications. But I know that the motor may not be as reliable as it was in stock form (I am willing to deal with it because the motor has so much power now it is like a totally different bike - sort of like mainlining heroin, you just like it so much you don't care what happens from doing it).

Most motors are not that modified to worry. The mileage, well, if you are not concerned with resale that much, I agree that 24K miles is not a big deal if the motor was properly serviced and not thrashed.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 04:47 AM

Find a motorcycle mechanic you trust and pay to have him check it out. It will cost a few dollars but will be worth it in the long run.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 06:46 AM

thats a decent amount of milage for such a new bike, but nothing bad. my 94 cbr600 only has 17,000 miles and I bought it with only 12k on the engine. You'd prolly end up needing to replace the transmission or clutch before the motor goes.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 07:07 AM

there is a guy on svrider.com that has 115,000 on his 99 sv650 on the original motor. Tere is allso anothher guy in california that has 200,000 on his he used it as a motorcycle messanger he sold it and bought a sv1000. It all depends on how the bike is taken care of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode