Welcome to ride with strangers? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to RyPkr_99
Welcome to ride with strangers?

I'm new to this am wondering what you guys would think of something joining up in a ride of a bunch of other bikes. I've done it maybe twice but am never sure if I'm welcome or not so just leave, but it seems so fun to ride with a bunch of other sportbikes.

I got behind two bikes a week or two ago and the both slowed down to about 10 under, rode abreast, and dropped their left hand down like the wave and kept it there. I didn't know if they wanted me to pass them and not ride with them or what.

My bike is older so I don't want to crash anybodys cool ass ride by having a lame bike there. Just wondering what you guys would think of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 01:23 PM

If they are riding the pace then i normally keep my distance but yet ride with them.. The minute they slow down is when i pass them and ride my own ride..

Just depends on the sisuation..

I rode with 2 harleys that i hooked up with today.. I knew they were gonna slow down a little too much for my pace in the corners so i ended up passing them before we entered the first corner..
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 03:36 PM

It really depends on the riders. If I see a bunch of guys on brand new sportbikes with t shirts and stuff, I stay far far away.

Guys (or gals for that matter) that look like they know what they're doing, I would probably ride with. By that I mean riders with good form, well worn bikes, wearing full gear like aerostich suits and all that.

Just be careful about who you pick and choose to ride with.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 04:00 PM

STAY AWAY FROM ME. Just kidding.

Were they waving you by? Sometimes I'll wave someone by just to see if I can keep up with them. (after all they just caught me)

Left hand down may also mean stop or slow down. When you approach another rider/riders STAY BACK and just watch for awhile. Then pass if ya want but don't slow them down. YOU are now running radar and deer patrol.

I personally don't like to ride in large groups or with people I don't know. But I don't mind if someone wants to tag along. Just don't crowd me.

A few ccs short of a full litre.

Last edited by mac020; 10-16-2005 at 04:12 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 04:50 PM

Sounds like they were saying NO to you. You must remember some of us prefer to be solo riders or only ride with a few people we trust. I am the type that rides alone ALL the time & have done it most of my 59 yrs of riding.

So you will just have to see if you can run into a person or a few of them will take you in, ONLY ride at your pace & do not try to keep up with them or if you feel they are a strange lot to ride with, then turn back.

Last edited by Smitty; 10-16-2005 at 07:23 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 05:48 PM

I have ridden with all sorts of guys. Pro stunters, hard core track riders, newbees, old Harley dudes, dual sporters, and many more.

Most of the guys you run across have no problem with you tagging along. I recommend riding in the back untill you get to know their style. Guys who are alone may be alone for a reason. Keep that in mind.

Just dont crowd them and if they are riding too fast for you, let them go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode