How long till your bike is warm - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

How long till your bike is warm

Do you let your bike idle for a few minutes and how long do you ride before you get your revs up high?

Will the bike get faster on the right temp if you let it idle? ('cause there is no air flow)

My problem is I have to do a temp mod and at the moment I dont get the right temp value of my bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 01:20 AM

I let my bike idle at 1k until the temp gauge moves. Then I ride off without working the engine very hard until it is fully warm.

Not quite sure what you mean about the engine going faster, but if you're asking if the rpms will increase with the choke on as the engine warms, then the answer is yes - but you shouldn't allow it to rev very fast until it is warm....I don't think that letting it rev fast will harm the engine, but I'd prefer to let the head heat slowly & evenly.....

What sort of temp mod?
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 04:03 AM

All really depends on the weather conditions. Here in Texas it doesnt take long at all for the bike to warm up. I start it, open the garage door back it out then close the garage door and by then it is usually ready to go.

My bike has carbs and as long as the throttle is responding smoothly I consider it good to go. I will usually ride a mile or two though before I really get on it.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 05:18 AM

I like for my bike to reach 130 before I get it out of the parking lot. It takes the time to put on helmet and gloves, plus a slow ride thru the parking lot itself. I wait till the temp gage starts to register (104F) and then ride it with the clutch pulled in, giving it enough gas to raise the revs to around 2k or so.

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 07:03 AM

For my old cbr, I just put full choke on when I start it up then put my gear on (about 1-2 mins). By the time I get on and drive about a 1/2 mile, carbs are warm, gas isn't being spewed through the exhaust, and throttle response is good.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 01:43 PM

my temp first registers at 96 degrees i usually wait to get on at about that temp at least. then once i get to where i can open it up its usually good to go.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 07:09 PM

My '98 GSX-R 750 is the first bike I have owned that had a digital temp gauge. I never thought a bike warmed up so fast. Of course mine is kept in a garage where it is 70.

I pull the (fake) choke and start the bike. By the time I have put my helmet and gloves on my bike is reading 110.

And I am off...

I am always easy on it untill I have warmed up the tires anyway so I never really run it untill about 160 degrees or so. I learned that the hard way the first time I tried to clutch up a wheelie in second gear as soon as I pulled out of my driveway. The back tire cut loose just as all of the weight had transfered to the back. Very scary.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Rundog
What sort of temp mod?
The 97 TLS thermostat was put in the housing near the radiator so the bike temp that is displayed on the digital clock is always colder than it really is and thus the ECU get the wrong signal and is always on a cold mapping wich run rich.

The mod I have to do is to get another thermostat housing and mount it where the 98+ TLS's thermostats are.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hendog24
I learned that the hard way the first time I tried to clutch up a wheelie in second gear as soon as I pulled out of my driveway. The back tire cut loose just as all of the weight had transfered to the back. Very scary.
When ever I want to pop wheelies before my tire gets to proper temps, I just do a burn out. But atlast, I need a new tire. Oh wells, 6000 miles isn't that bad for a rear tire.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 05:54 AM

Ya, I got 5k on my rear now, so if its not nice and warm whenever I clutch up a wheelie it spins and fishtails a bit. I actually find it a bit fun and its a good way to get use to having your rear end get loose.

What is really fun is when its spinning and the front still comes up a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode