When's it safe to change to SYNEHETIC? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

When's it safe to change to SYNEHETIC?

2000 mi?

4000 mi?

HAve heard many opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 09:16 PM

You can shift over at any of the milages stated. So if you are comming to 2,000 then go ahead & shift over. Of a bit later if you are close to the 4,000.

Last edited by Smitty; 10-12-2005 at 09:18 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

i'm thinking of staying with regular after reading all of the posts about clutch problems...i wouldn't know what to look for in a synthetic, and would probably end up with the bad kind sooner or later...

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 04:15 AM

Lotsa people run synthetic, just have to get the right ones. I would recommend Shell Rotella, but do some research, theres a lot of info out there and find something you are comfortable with.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 04:51 AM

Watch out for "Friction modifiers", also knows as "Energy saving" Oils. there are some conventional oils with the same additives. I used to swear by mobil 1 red cap, but I cant find it anywhere now... there is a red capped mobil 1, but its not the same thing...

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 05:00 AM

THis is prbably a really stupid question but does the same oil that runs through the engine come in contact with the clutch. These bikes do have a wet style clutch right. I gues if thats nt the case i dont see y engine oil would lead to clutch problems.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 05:05 AM

It is the case, they DO have a wet clutch. Thats why you have to use the proper oil, one with no friction modifiers and one that has good shear properties.

And Vash they changed the red cap to a gold one and changed the formulaton a bit from what I understand. Most have reported good results with it though some haven't.

As far as switching to full synthetic in all reality you could do it your first oil change, but I would probably wait until your second or third.

My first change was at 100 miles, then around 600-800 and then at 2k I switched to synthetic.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 05:12 AM

Thanks pinguin I'll give it a try. Right after I try the rottella stuff...

BTW, I just noticed we were in the same state... wanna get together for a ride sometime?

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 05:14 AM

I am always up for it, Texas is a pretty big state though, I am in the Houston area. With the weather cooling off though I am always up for a few hundred mile Saturday.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-13-2005, 05:23 AM

We might have to wait till spring. My october is booked beyound my ability to keep up with it, and november might get a little cold. I live about half way down i20, around abiline.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode