trying to get a motorcycle lane for CA riders? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

trying to get a motorcycle lane for CA riders?

Ok, now that Ive got your attention here is what Im thinking. The fact that we get to Split lanes in Ca is a great luxury Im sure many of us Ca riders appreciate. Im sure many of you know Ca is also an extremely anal state when it comes to environmental protection hence our having to pay "x" amount more when buying a new vehicle (motorcycles too), because of the modifications manufacturers have to make so the vehicles can comply with Ca environmental code to be sold in the first place. If you buy a vehicle out of state without the Ca environmental mods, you will have to tack 7,000 miles onto it before you can have it registered in CA.

So.. here is my pitch in a nutshell. Motorcycles create nowhere near the amount of pollution as an auto, and we consume far less gas anually. I am serious about going through the proper channels to see if I can get voters to vote on whether or not a motorcycle lane is implemented on Ca main freeways. I feel that since Ca is an environmentally friendly state, motorcyclists should be rewarded. After all we are "doing our share for the clean air."
Not to ention this encourages more people on the road to consider riding a motorcycle. This may even cut down on motorcycle fatalities since we would no longer have to hang out in "no mans land" for a good portion of our rides.

Before I pursue this any further, I would like some feedback, as well as any info on whether or ot some has tried, is trying, and the outcome of the situation. Again Im serious about this. I know because Ive been thinking about this for weeks
Post 'em please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 10:43 AM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Question

Erm....

So Cal and Northen Cali freeways have these lanes, they are called Carpool lanes. The odds of it getting made into a lane... highly doubtful.

1. Bikes are not regulated as much as cars (smogging etc.) there were rumors going around that bikes will be smogged, but not sure what happend with it.

2. Lane splitting is only legal in cali due to smogging, over heating, traffic etc.

3. The Freeways are not wide enough for an emergency lane anymore because of so many people trying to get from point A to B as quickly as possible, thus the freeways were made wider to flow easier.

Not to knock down your thread. Becuase it would be a great idea.

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Jester,
Carpool lanes are an extremely great point you bring up, however not ALL freeways contain a carpool lane, or the carpool lane simply vanishes, and merges in the the genral traffic I commute in LA traffic everyday, the 405, 10, 101 freeways are one I most frequent, and the lanes are extremely small as it is. Lane splitting at times has gotten to the point where I have seen riders fold in their mirrors so they have a wide enough berth to pass through traffic. I myself have tried this once (never again), because its extremely dangerous because you eliminate any use of rear view mirror. This is only my initial pitch on this as I am going solely off of my experience with LA freeways. Ill have to look into freeways in central and northern cali. Thanks, the carpool thing is a major factor in my argument, in fact I might have to change it to establishing such a lane in the most constricted areas of certain freeways where it is not wide enough to create a carpool lane. I dont know who is familiar with the 105 freeway here in LA, but there is a carpool lane on it, and it is lined with a double-double yellow line. Although illegal, I have seen riders ride in between these lines, and have more than enough room to keep going even when traffic is haulted both in and out of the carpool lane.
Yes!! Carpool lanes in LA dont do that much good anymore, they are slowly comming to a stop aswell. People who ride the 405 southbound between Sherman Oaks, and Sunset Blvd. (where it merges) know what Im talking about.
Thanks, for the reply Jester.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 11:50 AM
Resident Smart Ass!

Are you a member of the AMA? Best bet would be to talk to them first, they can usually help get the ball rolling on something like that. Only thing that I would see be the problem is that we are broke ass state. With all the taxes and stuff, it would be put to the people to vote.... not alot of people ride, some depsise us.

But good luck and keep us posted.

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 12:15 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Quote:
Originally posted by vaneo1
.......People who ride the 405 southbound between Sherman Oaks, and Sunset Blvd. (where it merges) know what Im talking about.
Yup, ends before you merge to the 5, higher traffic areas. Central Cali is 99% 2 lane until you hit Sacramento, so I doubt we will get a bike lane.. much less a carpool one. San Fran area had mad traffic at times, so that's why they have them.

I lane split once in a great while... I ride the freeway when there is little traffic so I don't really hit traffic on the weekdays. Some weekends I will do it on the city streets, but not much.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 01:18 PM
Some days are like this.

An issue I can see coming up if you wanted the voting population in on it is that Californians are notorious for "If I don't get any use out of it, why do I care?", and since there are way more cagers than riders, it would never get out of the gate.

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by spicerke
An issue I can see coming up if you wanted the voting population in on it is that Californians are notorious for "If I don't get any use out of it, why do I care?", and since there are way more cagers than riders, it would never get out of the gate.
Right you are spicer!! So, if people dont care for it (ie. cagers), then they will most likely skip my potential proposition and move onto the next one in the ballot therfore not even vote for it. If I could ever swing something like this, it would definitely be up to CA's motorcycle poulation to either show up at the polls and vote, or take a stroll down to the mailbox and drop that absentee ballot.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Jester
Are you a member of the AMA? Best bet would be to talk to them first, they can usually help get the ball rolling on something like that. Only thing that I would see be the problem is that we are broke ass state. With all the taxes and stuff, it would be put to the people to vote.... not alot of people ride, some depsise us.

But good luck and keep us posted.

No, Im not a member of the AMA, after I build a stronger argument and iron out the wrinkles, maybe I should look into that. Right now Ive got a friend who's an LA city councilman.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 03:34 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
Hey I'm all for a motorcycle lane especially if it has a higher speed limit, but the non motorcycling public will never go for it, they can't stand the fact that we can split lanes much less us the carpool lanes while they all swelter in the hell that is gridlock. Put it on the ballot, I'm all for it but the cagers will never let it happen.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fatman
Hey I'm all for a motorcycle lane especially if it has a higher speed limit, but the non motorcycling public will never go for it, they can't stand the fact that we can split lanes much less us the carpool lanes while they all swelter in the hell that is gridlock. Put it on the ballot, I'm all for it but the cagers will never let it happen.
Hey fatman, Ive talked to a lot of people so far, and many have told me it would be impossible. before anything goes to a ballot, I would have to find out how many signatures I would need to get in order for it to be elgible for a ballot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode