So I picked out some gear today, tell me your thoughts - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

So I picked out some gear today, tell me your thoughts

Helmet
Icon - Mainframe (glossy)
$235

jacket
Cortec Impulse MD
$299

pants
Joe Rocket leather pants (not sure model)

ran out of time before I could checkout boots and gloves.

Looking to do mostly commuting to school and around town for the first while, then eventually when I'm comfortable hit the LA canyons.

thoughts? suggestions?

edit: and by picked out I mean I went, tried it on and liked em, though I did not buy anything yet. Gonna see some reviews online and see if I can get em for cheaper

Last edited by Suavedg; 10-11-2005 at 05:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 06:59 PM

are you looking for pants to wear over your school/work clothes? B/c it seems like leathers might be too tightly fitting to wear over stuff...maybe a textile overpant?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

yea that's one of my problems, do I go textile to wear over my jeans to school?
or do I get leathers that are much better/safer but I'll have to throw my jeans in a backpack or something wherever I go.

Most of the textile pants I saw though were pretty lame in the armour department, just felt like they were thicker in the knee's and ass area with no real padding/armour.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 08:13 PM

LOL you live in LA, its be safer in the canyons. then fighting traffic on PCH, or the any of the major freeways. Those bumps on the 91 should be a blast though.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 08:49 PM

I've got some Cortech GX-Air pants that fit over my work clothes. I don't have the backpack space to fit a change of clothes in there if I were to wear leathers (or the place to change either) They've got good pads in the knees, and descent ones in the hips. Plus, they have strong ballistic nylon in the important places, mesh everywhere else so are fairly cool. I think, especially with the clothes underneath, that would be enough protection for my skin.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 11:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to conrice
if youre wearing to school as in college, good luck with the tight leather pants. if you pay attention and see what most college riders wear, its shorts and t-shirts because they can hop off their bike and into class.
here's my question, are you willing to find a changing room to change out of the leathers into a pair of pants/shorts everytime you're gettin on and off of your bike? how big is the pack youre wearing? can you really fit a change of clothes and shoes into your pack with your books?
the only reason im asking these questions is i dont want you to show up the first time with your gear, realize how much of a pain it is, and then just roll in shorts and sandals like some of the kids on campus here at FSU.

some pants like Esanders2 has would probably be a better bet for a college student. im just saying, get something thats feasible and will work for you. if you go leathers and go all out, i doubt many people would be able to keep that up (wearing them) as opposed to something thats a little easier like the textiles.
also, if your college class rooms are anything like ours are, there's no room for clunks of gear in the middle of aisles. so get something that you can wear comfortably in class like a nice jacket, i have no idea about the one you picked out, but just think about those things. same goes for boots
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 03:34 AM

Most high quality riding boots are conftorable enought to wear around all day. I would not have a problem wearing my SIDI boots in class all day just under the zipper, they may sound a little funny walking but who cares. Or get some ICON street boots.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 05:00 AM

for your willingness to wear saftey gears. IMO, buy the best you can afford, and don't worry about those kids who ride in a fip flop and a t-shirt. The pain of changing your clothes is nothing compared to the pain you will face in the emergency room.

Think about it this way: if you go down wearing nice cool looking clothes, you can get hurt so bad that you would miss your classes, and probably miss a semester or two.

Look at some of the crash videos and picturs to see what I am talking about. Wear riding boots all the time. Ankle injuries are the nastiest of all, and it can leave you with premnant injury.

Finally, leather offer the best protection. So, if you like leather go for it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

thx for the advice guys.

I do agree now that I think about it that textile pants maye have a larger plus than I thought of when it comes to changing and bringing gear to class. But the textile pants I've seen are just reinforced layers with no padding.

Anyone have some textile pants that they really recommend that are good for commuting, look good and have some decent padding/armour?

also, when it comes to boots. I want something with decent protection, looks good and I'll be able to walk around campus in with some jeans over. Any brands/models that come to mind guys?

Last edited by Suavedg; 10-12-2005 at 09:19 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Suavedg

also, when it comes to boots. I want something with decent protection, looks good and I'll be able to walk around campus in with some jeans over. Any brands/models that come to mind guys?
I walk around all day in my Alpinestar SMX boots, but I wear semi-baggy pants so I'm not really sure if you'd be able to get jeans over a racing boot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode