Future sportbikes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Future sportbikes

It's somewhat obvioius that the major brands are basically making incremental improvements on existing bikes and putting them out every year as new models. Not surprising considering that it takes a either a technological leap or market shift to really change current production paradigms. You could argue that the automotive industry is starting on a new path with hybrid/electric cars and the like, but not so with motorcycle manufacturers.

So my question is, what do you guys and gals think will be the future of sportbikes? I'm not talking about extremely radical things like a hover bike in the year 2067, but something like the evolution from going from a 1982 Suzuki 1000GL to a 2006 1000 Gixxer. Or, maybe the future is in the electric/hybrid motorcycle (I think there is a few concepts out there).

I would especially be interested in what Smitty has to say on the subject. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 10:54 AM

I think that a hybrid sportbike would be queer, for that matter I think that hybrid cars are queer. I think people need to stop worrying about getting 80 miles a gallon in their cars. Everyone needs to man up and drive something with balls, this includes sportbikes!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, but I was just using hybrid vehicles as an example.

BTW just because you drive a gasoline powered car/motorcycle does not mean you are "manning up" to anything. Unless you think that old ladies in Buicks are bad-ass.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 12:35 PM

Its really funny that you say that because I am currently producing the designs for an electric motorcycle. I am getting a copyright on this idea so noone can follow. I have been pondering this idea for a while. Its nice to see some people out there are acually thinking. Like you.

Although it is very hard and expensive to aquire such a long lasting battery with so much voltage just to power a motor up to 60. I gaurantee it won't get up to the quality and standards of todays sportbikes in the next few years, but will be a very low cost replacment to an around town car or bike.

It IS an interesting idea. But one that may be near impossible to acheive.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 12:52 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by Atown313
I think that a hybrid sportbike would be queer, for that matter I think that hybrid cars are queer. I think people need to stop worrying about getting 80 miles a gallon in their cars. Everyone needs to man up and drive something with balls, this includes sportbikes!
Thank you oh so much for your well thought out and insightful response. I found it to be masterfully penned, intellectually stimulating, and not to mention completely bereft of value.

Seriously, what was the point of that? It in no way brought anything to the thread.

As to the bikes of the future, I can't wait to see what happens. I wonder if there will be much of a technological breakthrough, or if we'll see the emergence of smaller displacement engines as they learn to squeeze all of the performance they can out of each cc. It should be interesting.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 12:53 PM

I would think that a hybrid motorcycle would be a waste of time. They already get great gas milage, and adding heavy batteries would just make it worse. Electric bikes have potential, as we are starting to make electric motors that would blow the lid off a gasoline engine, but energy storage is a problem. Fuel cells might remedy that, we'll see.
Other advancements I'm expecting are in the area of suspension. There have been too many attacks on the forks lately. BMW with their tele lever, motoscyzh (sp?) with their linear bearings, and ducati is claiming to be working on something new as well.
Material advancements will be driving the game. That is whats happening in the auto world, and its what happening in ours. Stronger, lighter metals will allow for higher redlines and even more power.
New manufacturing techniques may allow us to make parts that are not yet possible. Imagine a hollow connectig rod. It will have simular strength to a standard model, but much much lighter. there are several places that are working on printing metal parts one layer at a time.
I imagine we'll be seing more and more cylinders showing up. Perhaps even a nanoscale combustion chamber. Expect the number of gears in the tranny to rise as well.
But the biggest breakthru would be better tire materials. after all what good is power without tires?

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 12:58 PM

Isn't there a guy designing an Americane sportbike right now. Although with a hefty price tag of only a hundred grand, it is technically a future sport bike. Aint no way in hell I pay that price for a sportbike though.

I think I would use a hundred grand and start building a really nise house, if I had that kind of money to blow.

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Atown313
Hahahah man.. great reply.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
I would think that a hybrid motorcycle would be a waste of time. They already get great gas milage, and adding heavy batteries would just make it worse.
I agree with you Vash. I did not think about the fact that Hybrids require batteries. And I can't see how you'd load up sportbikes with a bunch of batteries. Too much weight, IMO.

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 01:46 PM

I bet the future of motorcycling will be mid sized scooters. Soon people will realize that sportbikes, cruizers, and choppers are pretty impractical.

Sure your laughing now, but just wait 5 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode