break in period? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

break in period?

I just bought a 636 a week ago and dont know how to break this thing in. Kawasaki says to keep it under 4000rpm for 500miles then under 8000 for another 500. They dealer says keep it under 8000 just for the first 500. Friends say that i should ride it like i plan to for the life of the bike. They say if you give it hell beaking it in it will perform better. I would imagine it needs some time taking it easy, but 1000miles seems long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 05:12 PM

Some say that you must "seat" the piston rings. This is done by running the engine hard under load. This would involve wide open throtle. This needs to be done in the first 20 miles though so you have probably missed it. Not to mention, I would not do this unless you are very experienced, and never in first gear. A new 636 is a lot of bike. Wide open throtle on that thing is a bad idea unless you are very experienced, or know the bike very well.

With new engines today, there is not the same need to be easy on them for the first 1000 miles. Just be sure to vary your engine speed. That is very important.

Other than that, just ride the thing.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Definetly missed that seat time. I have about 150 on it and i havent had it over 8000rpm except for once. I had to just see if could ride a wheelie so i gave it a little. Except for that i have been very easy on it. I think i have given it all the breakin its gonna get. Thats why i bought the extra 3 year waranty.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 06:04 PM

Most importantly, that awesome (great choice!) bike can take years of hard running before anything goes wrong.

Ride it like you want to, but please get to know the bike before you do anything crazy.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 06:19 PM

How long have you been riding for?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2005, 06:29 PM

before anyone does it for me...

http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread...threadid=54273

See the end of page 2. This wasn't my first wheelie either, just before I had ridden a couple wheelies, one for several hundred feet.

This sucked
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

This is my second sportbike. I raced dirtbikes for several years (i know its not a street bike). Then i had the sportbike for about 5,000 miles of road time. I know i am not ready to ride wheelies i just wanted to be able to do small ones.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 12:16 PM

Wink

Dont go over 2k rpms okay take it easy till at least 30k miles. Better safe than sorry.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 02:14 PM

Hi 02WhiteStang-

Ensuring that you vary the engine speed is critical. Having it drone on and on and on via highway mileage would be the wrong way to go about the break-in period. You need higher revs, lower revs, and in all different gears.

One area where all the experts are consistent is to avoid "lugging" the engine in too high of a gear for your actual speed. Good luck with the bike, it's a great choice!

~ Blue Jays ~
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2005, 03:13 PM

Keep it above 4000 rpm when cruising and rev it near the powerband once in a while before up shifting (no wheelies), and it should be all good. Pay attention to first maintenance, treat it like mandatory flu shot, so do it at specified schedule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode