Motorcycle vs. Small Road Animal - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Motorcycle vs. Small Road Animal

HAven't hit one yet, but I wonder what would happen if I hit a rabbit, skunk, etc. Anyone ever hit a small animal, maybe a little bigger than squirrel size??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 07:54 PM

It would probably die!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

And how would the bike make out...

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ESanders2
And how would the bike make out...
With the animal? Don't know but turn down the lights, soft music and anything could happen!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 08:33 PM

Not too long ago, a young driver swerved to avoid an object that came out of the back of a truck. The driver lost control of his vehicle, killing himself & several of his friends. The object he swerved to avoid was a foam cooler.....

Use your judgement to avoid objects when possible, but sometimes it's better to hit what's in your path. Squirrel, rabbit, possum, etc. avoid them if you can, but if avoiding them puts you in a dangerous situation, go on and hit them...You'll be alright....
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 08:37 PM

Sorry about that, I must have been in a mood.
But seriously a work collegue of my hit a rabbit at 100mph on a moderate lean in a corner it went straight under both wheels and the bike didn't even shake its head, it was a 1999 ZX9R.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rooboy
With the animal? Don't know but turn down the lights, soft music and anything could happen!

Sorry, ESanders2, but that was funny.

My first ever a**e-puckering moment came when I hit an already squashed lizard one morning, whilst on the lean. My front tyre slipped sideways a little, but then caught again and I was fine.

My jocks were a little messy though...

I once heard another member say they were taught that, if the animal in question would fit on your plate, don't try to avoid it. As Rundog said, you may end up killing yourself in the process.

You only have a fraction of a second in which to make up your mind and execute whatever manoeuvre you come up with. That's why you should always be aware everything around you when riding.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
But seriously a work collegue of my hit a rabbit at 100mph on a moderate lean in a corner it went straight under both wheels and the bike didn't even shake its head, it was a 1999 ZX9R
Good to hear

I've probably hit one in my cage in 10 years of driving, I think they have a pretty high survival instinct when it comes down to it. A guy who worked the MSF course said he saw a squirrel run in between the tires of a bike in front of him at 100MPH and clear it
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ESanders2
...A guy who worked the MSF course said he saw a squirrel run in between the tires of a bike in front of him at 100MPH and clear it
Luck. Nothing more. I've seen animals make it across the road, to the clear, then decide they want to back where they started.

WHAM!

"You made a bad choice, Mr Wabbit."

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 09:00 PM

Here in the country you gotta watch out for Kangaroos at night! Hit one in my cage once...on a bike it would have been GAME OVER!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode