V-Twin vs. In Line 4 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

V-Twin vs. In Line 4

I was wondering how a 1,000cc V-Twin Suzuki SV1000S matches up against a 600cc In Line 4 Cylinder Honda CBR600RR. I know these two bikes make power a lot differently, and I know that the V-Twin is going to have more torque. I guess what I am getting at is which bike has more horsepower, and just overall power? Also, which bike can really get up and get going from a stop? Where is the powerban on these two bikes? Any information that you could give me would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 06:01 AM

most 2cyl will have more torque than the 4cyl's.

The SV will have more power in lower RPM's then the CBR. But once you get the CBR ripping in higher RPM's it works well.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 08:30 AM

Overall the 600RR will be faster. Faster 0-60, faster quarter mile.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 09:33 AM

I currently own both engine types, although the 4 cyl is an older 900rr. The 996 ducati has a very flat torque curve compared to the RR. It's interesting because the output of both engines in terms of torque and horsepower are almost identical.

They are completely different in terms of how they feel when riding. The 996 is deceptively fast, in that when you roll on the throttle, the response is very linear, i.e. no noticeable steps in the powerband. So it doesn't "feel" like you are going fast (until you look at the speedo.)

For my own riding style, I have to say I think the V-twin makes the better street oriented powerplant. Plus, twins sound way cool.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 05:19 PM

my buddy got an 05 SV 650, about the same time I got my 05 r6. We raced from a roll on at about 20. It was really no contest. For maybe a 1/4 of sec he was pulling on me, then I went by him on one wheel.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 06:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to conrice
if we're talking straight line speed, the I-4 should win all the time. If you're riding a twin, you have to figure out how to be faster by going slower. You have to really work on your corners (exits especially). A twin will roll on the power more smoothly than an I-4. A lot of people like them (twins) for the street because they fell more powerful down low (stops, street speeds, corners, etc.). An RC51 rider told me that when he would gun it with some I-4's, he'd pull away so quick that once the I-4's got into their powerband, he was already GONE!

Most people will agree that a twin will make the mediocre (sp) rider faster (because you can stay in "lower" rpms than the I-4's in corners) on the track.

hope that kind of helps
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EdgeRanger
my buddy got an 05 SV 650, about the same time I got my 05 r6. We raced from a roll on at about 20. It was really no contest. For maybe a 1/4 of sec he was pulling on me, then I went by him on one wheel.
It's not just because the type of engine or torque, but SV only makes about 70 HP. lol. I think more fair comparison would be something like your bike VS SV1000.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 11:10 PM

I have a TL1000S V-Twin. It's fun factor is amaizing all around. If you are looking for a bike where you just open the throttle and the power is there on your demand the SV is the bike for you.

The twin is not a high revving engine like the 600's.

The SV will make around [email protected] and [email protected] .
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 06:27 AM

In all honesty I dont believe it makes much of a difference. You got to get used to a different form of riding. A race I4 will be useless below 4-5l rpm, but you will have at least 10k rpm above that to play with, if not more. A performance v=twin will also suffer in the low end dept, but not as bad, however you will have a much lower red line, thus your total range is smaller. I4's will require more downshifts (often more then one gear at a time) while twins will force you to upshift more. The power is still hidden near redline regardless of the engine configurations. If you have good clutch skills you can have a great deal of fun on either.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 01:50 PM

I have an 03 sv1000 the sv1000 has 112hp and 70 ftlbs of torque a 03 cbr600rr has 105.5 hp and 43.7 lbs of torque. the sv1000 runs a 10.9 @126mph in the 1/4 mile and the cbr runs a [email protected] these stats are from motorcyclist. My sv1000 pulls hard at just about any rpm in any gear above 2500 rpm. when passing cars the bike builds speed realy fast when passing a car downshift to 3rd gear roll on the throttle and let off before you catch the car to avoid going over 100mph. It comes off the line realy hard how hard depends on how you dare launch it.
I have never ridden a modern I4 so i couldn't realy explain the diference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode