Cornering Technique - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Cornering Technique

So I've been trying to become smoother in the turns but I'm having trouble with my technique. I'm not really sure what I should be doing.

Right now the only thing I know is to look where you want to go, but I want to know what I should be doign with my body? Where should I be on the seat? Where should I be placing my body, forward, towards the rear, center?

I'd like to get her leaned down a little more than I have.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 05:27 AM

ahh the art of cornering my favorite topic: ok below is a list of the things I do when hitting the twistes.

P.S. >> I don't nessecarily come off the seat around town only in my favorite twistes when I am hauling ass

1: First find a nice U turn like corner on a lonely road were you can practice without interuption.

2: First I BREAK HARD
You will only need to break hard if you a going an excessive speed, I cannot tell you when to brake that is something you will have to feel out and become comfortable with as you practice. The better cornerers are the one that are able to brake late keep that in mind, but again this comes with practice don't rush it..

3: LOOK THRU THE CORNER

Breaking and looking I do these almost simultaneously remember even these are listed as seperate steps you will have to do these thing very fast as close to one smooth motion as possible.

4: LEAN

Leaning when practicing leaning I prefer to do what I call the superman technique, when superman wants to go right he pushes his right fist outward vice versa when he want to go left this coupled with slightly shifting your one ass check off the seat and yoiu will be getting your knee down after one full day of uninterupted practice and concentration

P.S. > It's always better to lean too much than to not lean enough remember that..

5: Then ROLL ON the trottle.

Now the roll on this is the fun part this step and step 4 are also done in almost on smooth motion. once you are in your line nice lean don't be scare to roll that trottle ..

Practice these steps over and over again both on right and left hand turns and you will achieve the glow

peace
Attached Images
File Type: jpg disalvo3.jpg (24.7 KB, 195 views)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 05:27 AM

go take a race school. and read TOTW II. Your ass should be off the seat. You should be kissing your elbow that for the directions of the trun your are taking.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 08:15 AM
Ice

TOTW I & II= Twist of the Wrist I & II by Keith Code

Both are a must read if you want to ride better.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Thanks for the information! Funny thing is that I put that book on my christmas list this year. Maybe i'll go out and buy it and take it off the list.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

So I got out a little this weekend and worked on getting my butt hanging off the seat and kissing the mirror and i really felt like I was getting down further and turning a lot faster.

One thing I noticed is sometimes when i'm cornering I tend to feel like i'm wobbling a little. Its like i'm starting to straighten up then go down again. Any thoghts? I'm thinking it has to do with my eyes, and subconsiously looking down at the curve instead of through the turn but i'm not sure.

Maybe its due to a lack of practice as well. Dammit, the winter is coming up so fast here in WI. I need to move to a warmer state, preferable one with some nice roads.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:34 AM

Hi All-

Dad (the SBW poster, not my father) did an excellent post on cornering technique that would be worth using the search feature. It was about two or three months ago.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Found It i think? But this is exactly what I was looking for.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:44 AM

It's possible that subconsciously, you're putting pressure on the outside bar or rolling off the throttle. Keep the throttle one and look through the turn as far as possible, and remove weigth from the bars as much as possible, only keeping a light pressure on the inside bar in case you need to adjust. When bike is settle, mostly it will track itself, you should only keep the throttle on and look far ahead.

Also, I try to work more on braking, and entrance speed on the corner, and getting the bike more and more leaned (when the road is safe). This way, I know the limit before the pegs drag and would better apply the hanging off technique. Essetially, it's all the same whether you're on the bike or hanging off, move your head from the fairings and to the mirror, shoulder pointing on the turn, head over your wrist, and eyes matching the curve, etc. Light pressure on inside bar, and no pressure on the outside bar (except initiating a quick flick).
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 10:44 AM
jab

Good responses in my opinion, not much to add. check out dads post. Wobble could be do to shift in body position, on throttle input, both can cause this, when i was first learning hard cornering i would sometimes freak a little and let of the throttle, and this always made things worse, any change mid corner, be it body, throttle, break, etc will cause the bike position/feel to alter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode