Nail in tire - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Angry Nail in tire

I have a nail in my rear tire, but unsure for how long it's been there. the head is shoved down and crooked, so I can't tell how big it really is. I ride at least every other day, and I check my air pressure twice a month (I should do it more). the rear was 10psi under my normal, but I have had the tires 5-10 psi under before.

There's probably 1000 miles left on the rear. I know I shouldn't ride on it, even though I rode it home 50 miles at 75mph after I saw it. I guess I'll practice some rolling burnouts and donuts to chew it up, because it's not worth the cost of plugging/mounting/balancing with 1000 miles to go.

I would probably ride on it if I only did city driving, but Im constantly on the freeway pushing 75mph. this sucks.

What's worse is the construction boom in Phoenix will never end; there always shady construction trucks on the road with crap flying out, so my next new tire is just as likely to get a nail. Ive lived here for 2.5 years and this is my third vehicle to get a nail in the tire.

Im thinking about stealing a used tire from the pile of tires that sit behind bike shops. Good idea or what?

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I guess I'll practice some rolling burnouts and donuts to chew it up
Quote:
Im thinking about stealing a used tire from the pile of tires that sit behind bike shops
I am not telling you what to do...but if you do a burnout with a nail in your tire, you are asking for it. Lets say you get lucky and the nail is shot out of the tire at 100+mph and it just ruins your bike. Lets hope you dont kill an innocent bystander.

As far as "stealing" used tires...if you go in and shoot the shit with one of the service or parts guys for a few minutes and just slip in a "hey, how about those tires", you may actually get somewhere.

In any event, that sucks and I hope the shop gives you a free one.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 06:29 PM

Even if you get that used tire, wouldn't it cost the same to mount and balance the tire as a new one? If you really want to skip out on getting a new tire for now, then pull the nail out of the tire and use tire slime. It works, but I'm not saying you should do it, still risky.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Hen- I don't think I said I'd be going 100mph. When I say rolling, I mean 2 mph, while the tire is spinning. I made it home going 75 and Im not going to push my luck anymore.

Z- You make a good point; why spend $30 for mount and balance on another piece of junk.

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 08:18 PM

Hi Mr. TrevorClever-

Here is what I would do in your current situation:
  • remove nail with pliers
  • roughen hole with file
  • insert plug smeared with rubber cement
  • allow plug several hours to cure
  • ride repaired tire to maximum speed of 65 m.p.h.
As long as you're not riding like Nicky Hayden, the plugged tire will be perfectly serviceable for the next few weeks until replacement.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 09:24 PM

I got some Rennsport take offs with lots tread on em...2 rears, and 1 front....

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.TrevorClever
...When I say rolling, I mean 2 mph, while the tire is spinning...
Okay, so you're doing 2mph "ground speed', but what speed is your tyre spinning at???

If you're dong a burnout with a nail in your tyre, you don't know when / if that sucker's going to come loose and shoot out.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 03:08 PM

Thank you Cookeetree. I could not even respond to Mr.TrevorClever last post. He thinks that when he is doing a rolling burnout at 2 mph his back tire is only going 2 mph.

Not to mention, I said...

Quote:
and the nail is shot out of the tire at 100+mph
The nail is shot out of the tire at 100+ mph...THE NAIL, THE NAIL
not your ground speed.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hendog24
Thank you Cookeetree...
You're welcome.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

I've said it before, and I'll mention it again. Motorcycle tires undergo some pretty dynamic forces. The front has to bear it's share of the weight, and deal with crazy cornering forces, as well as the majority of the braking force. The rear has to bear it's share, which can be even larger due to passenger etc, the same crazy cornering forces, it's share of the braking (whether engine or brake) and 100% of acceleration forces. I wouldn't trust an external type plug unless it was an emergency means to get me to a more permanent repair. If the tire had enough life in the tread and compound to continue to use, I would use an internal plug patch and go very easy on it. If it didn't seem worth the cost of removal and replacement due to tread life/compound life, I would get a new tire at that time.

It's just not worth it to me, to take that type of chance with my machine, my self, or others around me.

At the same time: I've never known anyone personally have one pull through (although we all hear stories about the friend who has a cousin who met a guy that got soda from someone who read about someone who heard someone else say that they saw someone lose a plug).

Being on a motorcycle is about acceptable risk. If you believe that the plug is accpetable, do it. If not, don't. I choose to not take the extra risks.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode