A tree hit ME - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

A tree hit ME

believe it or not a tree hit me!

I was driving one of my favorite roads around a lake on a very windy night.... the next thing I know a very large object falls from the sky in front of me about 30 feet ahead of me..... I was going about 60mph and did my best to avoid it. It was a huge branch of a tree that broke above the road and landed in front of me. I had about 12-16 inches of road to work with between the large branch(about 20 ft long) and the wash out area off the side of the road. I did manage to swerve around it and keep my bike on the road. However somehow the branch bounced up after it hit the ground and the thick end where it broke caught me on the tip of the left elbow. I ended up driving away without any damage to the bike however my elbow is quite messed up. I guess this is a lesson to me that I need to watch out for more than CAGE's. If it had broke a second earlier or if I was going any faster I could have easily been taken off the bike!

With fall comming beware of your surrondings, leaves branches trees etc!

Last edited by mainerdr; 10-03-2005 at 09:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 09:50 AM

Wow! Talk about bad luck! That kinda makes me more paranoid then I already am knowing that everyone and EVERTHING is out to get me when I'm on my bike! It's a very good thing that you didn't get close-lined by that possed tree though. It must have been a cager in its previous life
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 12:01 PM

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago. Came around a sweeper to find a nice 4" branch laying across the road. Fortunately I had a passenger on the back so I wasn't ripping thru the turn. Had just enough time to load up the front end then 'mini-wheelie' over the branch. A serious pucker moment if there ever was one. My passenger was steamed that I wheelied the bike - didn't tell her it could have been A LOT worse!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 04:08 PM

Re: A tree hit ME

Quote:
Originally posted by mainerdr
...However somehow the branch bounced up after it hit the ground and the thick end where it broke caught me on the tip of the left elbow. I ended up driving away without any damage to the bike however my elbow is quite messed up...
Sh*t, mate, glad you didn't become a cocktail onion, stuck on the end of a bloody big toothpick!!!

What happened to your elbow? I'm assuming you were wearing gear???

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

I did have gear on but I did not have any elbow pads on at the time. I had on a textile jacket with a little bit of extra cushin in the elbow but no armor. The very end of the branch just caught me on the point of the elbow. It isn't broke or anything but I have quite a lump and it's very very tender! I never realized how often I put pressure on my elbows..... leaning on things rolling in and out of bed etc. It sucks but not as bad as it could have been!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 05:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
Wow...glad you are ok. As you know it could have been a lot worse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 06:23 AM

Hi All-

What gets me is riding/driving on the same roads year after year and observing dead and decaying tree that are within ten meters of the roadway. It is a serious accident waiting to happen.

I know that roadcrews, police officers, forestry personnel, county government, and a whole bunch of other "official" people see these hazards-in-the-making each day. Is it up to ME to make the telephone call to request that they be removed for the safety of drivers, riders, bicyclists, and pedestrians?

As usual, one has to wait for a huge tree to fall on a schoolbus before anything gets accomplished. </rant>

~ Blue Jays ~
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 12:29 PM

In an age where schools can't afford text books for all students, towns are laying off fire fighters and toxic dumps go unmitigated, I'm thinking dead tree patrol is probably pretty far down on the tax payer priority list.

Last edited by Bonk!; 10-04-2005 at 12:31 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonk!
It turned out the kangaroo was right.
Just curious. What does this mean???

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 08:25 PM

Hi Bonk!-

Yeah, I know you're right about the funding...but I just felt like ranting for a bit. It just peeves me when a crew is riding around in a truck with chainsaws and they regularly pass a 3-ton dead tree that is just begging to fall into the roadway. Why not just cut it and direct it to fall harmlessly into the woods. It would take about five minutes...

~ Blue Jays ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode