2 Stroke vs 4 Stroke Help - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

2 Stroke vs 4 Stroke Help

Well in an effort to learn more about the mechanical workings of my machines I picked up a few books from teh library and some off of amazon. However I am kind of confused and I was hoping someone could explain to me how a 2 stroke engine works. Correct me if I am wrong, in a 4, the piston moves down, drawing in air/gas, the piston moves back up (from swinging force? or being attached to the other pistons?) compressing the air/gas mixture, the spark plug ignites the mixture and sends the piston back down, again the piston moves up and releases the exaust.

I am confused because from what I have read, a 2 stroke draws in teh air/gas as the piston moves down, it comes back up and the charge is ignited. Is another air/gas charge inserted immediately after teh explosion? Also what happens to the exaust? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 01:10 PM

Check out howstuffworks.com they have a pretty good write up.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

That actaully was a pretty good write up, the one thing I did not understand, even though they mentioned it was what prevents teh fuel/air/oil mixture from seeping out the exaust tube when the charge is entering the cylinder?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 01:54 PM

Nothing, on the simples engines... the air simply doesnt have any reason to go there, as nothing is forcing it... On the more hard core 2strokes, such as the ones on dirtbikes, there is an exhaust valve to prevent that from happening..

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 11:10 PM

didn't want to start another topic related to engine, so I hope no one minds posting my question since original topic has been covered.

anyway, GP bikes have gone from using I4s to V4s, V5, and Big Bang I4s. just wondering where would the power curve lie in a V4 and V5 compared to inline 4? I am guessing the I4 is the peakier compared to V4s but V4 would have more midrange?? what makes V4 more ridable or tractable than the traditional I4?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 05:02 AM

2 stroke:

4 stroke:

Rotory Engine:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode