Thanks KBC..For saving my ugly mug. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Cool Thanks KBC..For saving my ugly mug.

This would have hurt pretty bad. Gear up to go down! I would like to thank KBC and all the gear nazis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg helmet crasher.jpg (31.4 KB, 132 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 04:46 AM

Everything else alright? How's the bike?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 05:12 AM
Dad

Congratulations on the good sense to wear it! That shit works. Saved me about six or seven times back in the late sixties/early seventies and then again last July 4th weekend. Still no scars for all of these years of riding.

I'm afraid to ask about the bike.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 06:01 AM

thank god the only time ive ever had a helment look like that is when i was trying to be a good friend and let the boys use it to take a girl for a ride.....they've either dropped it or the dumb a** driving wrecked and my helment looked a lot like that.

Glad youre still here to talk about it....judging by the helment the bike must not be too good either...???
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

I was on my way to work so I only had my jeans on, but I did have my lacket and gloves on. No real road rash except for some cuts from the gravel road I landed on and a small rash and bruise from what ever part of the bike I tore off on my way off the bike. Only problem I'm having issues with is my eye. I hit pretty hard, well, hard enough to knock myself out. When I came to I could only see light out of my left eye. It's better now, but I still have what I could only explain as being flashed by a camera. Except that it is always there. I went to the eye doc and they saw nothing wrong, but I'm heading back in a week for a follow up.

The bike is Toast. The whole front is gone. I have been trying to get it into a dealer for a quote, but it seems they are to busy to get to it. I have a pretty good idea of what all the parts will cost brand new. Which leads me to believe they will total it. On the other hand I hope I can buy it back b/c I can find all the parts I need pretty cheap.

EDIT: Link to pictures of my ride.
Crap

Last edited by phatkidwit1eye; 09-22-2005 at 06:13 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 08:25 AM

Wow. Glad to see you made it out ok for the msot part. Bike looks trashed. Got a story on what exactly happened?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

I was on my way to work. The normal way I go to work was blocked by a train, so I decided to find another way. The road I wrecked on was one I had never been on. I made quick left onto the road, I wasn't going more then 30mph. I went to slow down for what looked like a simple right hand turn. After that it gets foggy. All I remember was my rear locking up and stepping out on me. I got her undercontrol, but as I did I was at the turn in point for the corner and went over the yellow line. I could have probly made it and leaned her over real hard, but at the time I could have done that a car was coming the other way and I hit the car. At that point it all went black, then I woke up gasping for air.

I have been running it through my head for a while. I'm still unsure what caused my rear to lock. If you know Buells, it takes a real effort to lock up the rear single pot caliper. The only thing I can think of is either Gravel from the road right next to the turn or I ran over a piece of cardboard. I went back to the spot and there was a chalk out line of my bike and right next to it was a flat cardboard box. I'm going to head back there again. When I went back the first time it was dark out.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 09:08 AM

Glad you're ok and plan on gettin back to riding.

I have a theory as to why you wrecked. You said you saw some kind of surface hazard like gravel. Well, that threw your traction off but you regained control.

Since that more than likely freaked you out, your arms locked and made you unable to countersteer.

Similar situations have happened to me. I freak out, my arms lock and I am unable to steer for a few seconds afterward no matter what I do. I then go into the other lane as if someone is pushing me. Scary stuff.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 12:04 PM

Sh*t, mate, glad to hear you came out of it alive. The eye should heal. Probably just swelling.

Take it easy and buy a lottery ticket.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 02:31 PM

glad you're aight there, that helmet deserves to be hung on a wall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode