got a speed bug? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

got a speed bug?

hello my name is adam, I like to go fast.

j/k but I do find myself going sometimes to fast around some turns sometimes in the name of fun.

It has become a little worse over the last two weeks, and after a few moments and times where I get back and say "that was kinda stupid" I think it's time to slow down. Lest my luck runs out and I miss a slick spot on the pavement in the middle of a turn.

But honestly, do any of you ever find yourself telling that inner voice to shut up and take it easy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 05:16 PM

Re: got a speed bug?

Quote:
Originally posted by seppuku
...But honestly, do any of you ever find yourself telling that inner voice to shut up and take it easy?
All the time.

I often catch myself starting to wind things up a bit. I remind myself of my fiance, my family and friends who'd be devastated if I were to have a major let-go while being a squid.

That's always enough of an incentive to pull my head in and ride a bit safer.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 05:25 PM

The fear of a ticket / loss of license / rising premiums is what keeps me in line. I've been riding for so long without ever going down (save for a drop in a driveway or two) that the fear of going down that I should have is gone.

Even the close calls I've had were all without incident of any kind, so that only adds to the incorrect belief on my part that I'm superrider.

And to tell you the truth, I'm less afraid of death than I am of a 10,000 dollar a day insurance bill.

Christ, I hate insurance companies.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

the funny thing is, that with all the times I have been ridding. The only close calls I have had, aside when I droped my bike around a corner a month after I got it, was when people have pulled out in front of me.

Yet I think I have a bigger fear of making a mistake or taking it to close to mine or the bikes limits.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by seppuku
...Yet I think I have a bigger fear of making a mistake or taking it to close to mine or the bikes limits.
Got any chicken strips? Dragging a knee?

Chances are you're not close to bike's limits yet.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
Got any chicken strips? Dragging a knee?

Chances are you're not close to bike's limits yet.

yes including peg feelers, that's when you know it's time to back off and run it a little wide.

this also leads me to come home thinking, wtf I need to slow down.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 05:59 PM

250r... draggin knee and peg feelers. You don't need to slow down you need to upgrade your bike and go to the track. I don't think I've ever seen anyone drag knee on a 250 ninja
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by RoadStainR6
250r... draggin knee and peg feelers. You don't need to slow down you need to upgrade your bike and go to the track. I don't think I've ever seen anyone drag knee on a 250 ninja
lol yeah I was j/k I think it's impossible. Peg feelers always seem to be the first one to touch down, but that maybe because the bikes ridding postion?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 07:36 PM

This past weekend I went riding with a couple other guys....one races, the other has done a bunch of track days, which I've done neither of. One point we're hitting twisties, and I found myself tapping my bike out in third gear(95ish), hitting the sweepers at 80+(they were going 100+), and I couldn't keep up. Once I lost sight of them I slowed down...and told myself DON'T upshift past third, you'll kill yourself. I was riding faster than I usually would, but kept myself in check and didn't give into the temptation to try to stay on their tail. Staying within your limits is very important.

And I've never hit peg on my current bike! Did it once on the Katana, and it was actually a pretty slow corner, not a fast sweeper.

Well hopefully I do a track day or two next summer and learn some better cornering techniques and get my bike down further.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by slaps76
This past weekend I went riding with a couple other guys....one races, the other has done a bunch of track days, which I've done neither of. One point we're hitting twisties, and I found myself tapping my bike out in third gear(95ish), hitting the sweepers at 80+(they were going 100+), and I couldn't keep up. Once I lost sight of them I slowed down...and told myself DON'T upshift past third, you'll kill yourself. I was riding faster than I usually would, but kept myself in check and didn't give into the temptation to try to stay on their tail. Staying within your limits is very important...
Kudo's, mate, for keeping your head and not letting the situation take control of YOU.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode