Your first ride with a passenger - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Your first ride with a passenger

So what was your first ride like with a 2nd person sitting behind you?

Were you afraid?
how long had you been riding?
how much did it change the mechanics of turning?

just interested in people's experience with giving someone a ride with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 09:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
You definitely need experience under your belt. If your passenger doesn't know what they are doing, they could throw the weight of the bike and center of gravity entirely off, say in the apex of a turn. You really need experience riding and being able to adjust to certain conditions.

Me, I just dove in. I was riding for a year and luckily nothing happened. I've been riding chicks ever since... Granted I pay them well, but I still ride them none the less. I was a little nervous at first but that lasted about a mile or so. I've been riding for a long time now and I don't really thing twice about riding 2 up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 09:09 AM

I've been riding less than 6/mo in my full on squid days.
Things to watch out for. BRAKES. they dont work that well with the extra weight. The turning really depends on the passenger. If they know what they are doing, then track speed turns can be done. If they insist on sitting up streight when the bike leans, or worse yet if they keep on moving around, then even casual turns become difficult...

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 09:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
Right...usually if they know what they are doing, they can read your actions. If your cruising along and your hand is on your hip, they shouldn't have the death grip on you. I like it when they know to put their arms around me and put their hands on the tank for support. It is all good though, just go slow for the first few times and all will be well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 09:46 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by DocThee
I was riding for a year and luckily nothing happened. I've been riding chicks ever since... Granted I pay them well, but I still ride them none the less. I was a little nervous at first...
ROFTLMAO Now that's a well crafted statement if I've ever seen it.

Been riding for many seasons and still haven't taken on a pillion yet. Suppose I should before I get a new ride.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 11:05 AM

My first passenger on my new bike was about three weeks after i got the bike,or right around 1000 miles. Not that its the same but i had been riding a medium sized (100cc) scooter for a few years with lots of different passengers. My first passenger on the scooter was right out of the dealership parking lot and onto a 50mph street in rush hour traffic-VERY VERY VERY scary. For me it took a lot more concentration and effort to make the new bike do what i wanted with a passenger on board. The biggest problem I have had so far was one of my passengers insisted on wiggling around constantly and caused me to off-balance a bit in a few slow turns. VERY scary for someone like me with little road time on a bike much bigger than I'm used to.

For the passenger it seemed liked bracing both hands on top of each other onto the tank was the safest position. They did complain of my short, jerky stops and start-ups which i eventually smoothed out after 15-20 miles of riding. I was pretty sore myself from leaning forward so much(i usually sit almost completely upright with a light grip on the bars when I'm on my own.) I still haven't figured out the best 2 person position just yet but I'm workin on it. Maybe some more skilled riders can help both of us out on this one

My number one rule though when having a passenger is MAKE them wear a helmet. My life would be ruined if i happen to crash and end up killing my best friend/mom/dad/girlfriend/whoever....
If you or they don't have a spare(that FITS) then it looks like they're walking. It's just that simple. Sorry, i usually don't like preaching but it's just very important to me...

Ride safe and have fun!-in that order.....

Last edited by matrixman; 09-20-2005 at 11:09 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 11:10 AM

I just bought my second bike, but didn't have more than 2-3K miles under my belt. My girlfriend at the time insisted I give her rides on the bike.

Pretty standard things already mentioned: noticed stopping power decreased, and slow cornering felt like I was learning it all over again, or riding a heavier bike because the extra weight. Once up to speed wasn't difficult. Got used to it after a while, never had any problems.

Too bad she never fell off.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 11:19 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Like any total squid with a new bike, I was willing to give rides when I first got it. Basically because I didn't know any better. Usually they were short rides up the block and back, but some of the girls I "dated" were all into it, so I had to take a few for actual rides. At first it was scary, but I got over it quickly. It was probably a month or two before I took anyone though, so I did at least have a little experience before trying it. It doesn't change the mechanics of turning, just slows it way down. They passenger can really mess things up if they decide to lean opposite of you too, so make sure they understand to lean with you and not fidget. Once they learn that it's really pretty simple.

Anymore I won't take anyone save for my wife, and maybe my daughter when she is old enough (though the jury is still out on that one). Essentially I won't take anyone, as Katie would rather ride her own than on the back.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 02:22 PM

I had my girl on the back within about a month of learning to ride. I realise now just how f*cking stupid I was. Thankfully we never had any problems.

My girl had ridden pillion many times before, on a previous boyfriend's bike, so she knew exactly how to react to accelerating, braking and turning. We never had any helmets clashes either, as she hung onto the rear handle and not me.

Also, being that she weighs f*ck-all (110lbs), she didn't upset the balance of the bike to a huge degree. I forgot she was there many times!

She rides her own bike now and I've not been asked by anyone to give them a ride, so I'm not sure what I'll say if it ever eventuates.

I plan on teaching my dog to ride with me!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 03:33 PM

I had been riding for a year or so and started letting my girlfriend at the time ride as a passenger. She never got the hang of it and she almost got us both killed a few times.

She would look all over the place at scenery, whatever, never realising she was screwing up the handling by moving around. She'd lean against me in a turn, that almost got us cleaned out twice.

You won't catch me with a passenger. I can't afford to try to compensate for the actions of a dummy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode