help with major oil leak please - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

help with major oil leak please

hey, i was wondering if anyone could help me out here. i just bought a 1988 ex500, and when i test drove it around the block (it was a private party) everything was fine. near the end of the 50 mile trip back home, the throttle suddenly stopped responding and the engine stalled out on me. i stopped at the side of the freeway and restarted it, and then everything was fine again. however, the next day (during the daytime) i noticed that when the bike is on, it leaks quite a substantial amount of oil from the left exhaust area (it's an aftermarket f1 exhaust), and when i rev it some white smoke comes out (of the left one only) which i take to mean that the engine is burning a lot of oil. This leak is quite substantial, and after about 5 minutes there is easily a 6 inch puddle. additionally, the bike idles extremely low (around 1-1.5k rpm) does this have anything to do with the oil leak?

now, after only one day, the bike doesnt even start anymore (which i take to mean all the engine oil has leaked out). can anyone think of a possible solution to this problem, and if i have been ripped off by the seller (i paid $1220 for it [30k miles], after being reasured by her that the bike was in very good operating conditon) is there anything i can do, especially since it hasnt even been 5 days and i still havnt taken the title to the dmv, or am i just screwed? if anyone can help me out with either fixing / refunding this bike, i would greatly appreciate it. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 07:08 AM
Strength and Honor

Uh, if she said the bike was in good shape and its blowing oil, she was lying and its time to give her a call. An ultimatum will probably be required, so police involvement may be necessary.

Good luck.

BTW, oil coming from the exhaust is not worth repairing considering her claim and what you paid.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 07:37 AM

idel is fine should be aound that 1100 or so.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

ok so basically if i give her a call and demand my money back, does she need to do so? if i threaten police or court involvement, am i protected by any consumer laws and so would the legal system be on my side, or was it my responsibility to make sure everything was fine before the title was signed over? thanks.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 10:22 AM
Strength and Honor

Great questions which are sadly legalese ones I'm not qualified to answer solidly. However, small claims court allows both parties to give their positions and have the court rule. Since she gave you false information about a product she sold to you, it would seem you have very sound standing.

To get a legal viewpoint, either hope someone on here has genuine knowledge, call the local police and ask, or find a law forum and ask on it.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

If it were me, I'd simply call her back, explain what was encountered and ask for a refund. If she refused, I'd tell her that I'd be in contact with the police and state's attorney for fraud. Most people want to be fair, so hopefully she'll give you some ground when you first contact her.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 11:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch

If it were me, I'd simply call her back, explain what was encountered and ask for a refund. If she refused, I'd tell her that I'd be in contact with the police and state's attorney for fraud. Most people want to be fair, so hopefully she'll give you some ground when you first contact her.
+1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 11:36 AM

did you write a bill of sale? If you have one, she should have states that the bike is free from major mechanical problems.
If you don't have bill of sale, you should contact here immediatly, and possibly contact your DMV to know about lemon law in your state. Don't not wait more than a week.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 11:53 AM

Blown head gasket or cracked/warped head.. Police involvement is unlikely since this is a civil matter....Best to submit your case to one of the TV court shows like Judge Judy, Judge Mathis, or the Peoples' Court. After you stop laughing, I'll tell you why....because you'll get paid your judgement by the show. If you win a lawsuit in civil court, you still have to collect. That can take a very long time. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode