Anybody use synthetic? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Ice

Anybody use synthetic?

I was pondering a change over to synthetic, because I plan on putting well over fifty thousand miles on my bike in the next couple years(crossing my fingers). How does syn. compare to regular oil? Do any of you use syn.? I want to keep my bike running like the day it was new. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 06:00 AM

I run synthetic. Honestly I dont notice a difference. However when picking synthetic, do your research. Some oils use additives that will make you clutch slip. I used to use mobil1 red cap, but they discontinued it...

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 06:32 AM

I used Honda Synthetic w/o molly, cost $7.00 per quart. supposedly, it's the molly that makes the clutch slip, molly is for dry clutches like Ducs.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 06:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to 97yzfinwyo Send a message via Yahoo to 97yzfinwyo
klotz

i use klotz synthethic in all my bikes and its makes a world of difference in shifting. My yzf was loud and hard specially between 1st and 2nd now its quiet and smooth.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 06:54 AM

FYI
If you have a wet clutch DO NOT USE SYNTH OIL.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mainerdr
FYI
If you have a wet clutch DO NOT USE SYNTH OIL.
Argh, I hate myth's. Its not the synthetic that kills clutches, its the additives in SOME synthetics. The same additive exist in SOME conventional oils as well.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 07:16 AM

I use Mobil 1 15w50..... I'd like to share this with you. Hope the link works http://members.aol.com/lostpup198/oil/mcnart.html
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 07:19 AM

Rotella full synthetic here, like Vash said do some research then pick something you are comfortable with.

The same people that believe you should never use a synthetic with a wet clutch are the same that think only Motorcycle specific oil will not harm a bike.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Ice

What are the actual benefits of using synth. oil? Does it actually prolong engine life? Will your engine get tens and thousands of more miles? I've been changing my oil and filter every 1600 to 2100 miles with pro honda.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Angrypenguin
Rotella full synthetic here, like Vash said do some research then pick something you are comfortable with.

The same people that believe you should never use a synthetic with a wet clutch are the same that think only Motorcycle specific oil will not harm a bike.

I wouldn't say I am in that category ( non-motorcycle brand oil is fine ) and, there are some synth that will work better than others. However for the rider that does not want or need to do all the research and read each label with a mag glass then I would say use non synth and change it often. I have tried several synth's and I found after minimal milage "my clutch" starts slipping. I gave up the hunt!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode