gs500f vs. sv650s - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

gs500f vs. sv650s

Hey guys,

I wanna get the sv650s for my first bike, but used availability and pricing could pose a bit of a problem. I like the look of the gs500f alot more than the naked sv650s (though the sv with fairings is the best imo)

anyways, performance wise, how do they stack up and by how much is each bike better than the other in certain categories?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 04:41 PM

Forget both of those get you a REAL bike, gixxer all the way.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 04:43 PM

My God man...There is no question. The GS 500 F has nothing going for it other than the fact that it is a Suzuki. The bike is a joke. You will ride it for 2 weeks and wish you had never bought it.

The SV 650 with or without the farings is a great choice. That is probably my #1 begginer bike choice. It has ok power, it handles, its cool, and its fun. I normaly hate V-Twins, but that one is cool.

Remember, the SV 650 S doesnt just look cooler. It has clip-ons and the rearsets are moved up and back. The bike will actually handle differently. Both are fun and cool but the S is set up more like a sport bike.

Both however will teach you to ride and teach you to ride well unlike a GSX-R 1000. Just pick the one that you like most and enjoy!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrog24
Forget both of those get you a REAL bike, gixxer all the way.

you're kidding.

either bike is fine suav. the sv has the power advantage, but I believe it depends on your preference, in terms of looks and performance. gs500 powerband will emulate that of a 4 cylinder (power increase as the rpms go up), and with the SV, power is there from get go, you have to be smoother with your clutch application, it's heavier, and engine braking is unmerciful sometimes if you're dropping more than one gear.

Last edited by Z_Fanatic; 09-19-2005 at 05:06 PM.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 05:14 PM

Look man, I cannot let you do this.

I bought a '96 Suzuki Bandit 600 as my first bike. I kept it for 1 year. It killed me to keep it that long.

If you buy a GS 500 F the same thing will happen to you. I dont give a damn about a power band. You will learn to ride the right way no matter which one you buy.

You will be willing to stick with the SV 650 for a solid 2 years or more and really learn to ride without being upset with your decision or self consious about your bike.

The SV 650 is cool. I own a GSX-R 750 and I am thinking about buying an SV 650 as a second bike. I would not take a GS 500 F for free. Think about that...
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys! sv650s for the win then eh?

And why is it any time I talk to anyone about bikes they all talk and bring up gixxers (gsxr right?) what gives?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 05:47 AM

Gixxer is a nickname for The Suzuki GSX-R. They come in 600, 750, and 1000. There is a large following (me included) that think that they are the best sport bike on the planet.

There are 4 major manufacturers for great, affordable sportbikes.

1. Suzuki (GSX-R)
2. Honda (CBR-RR)
3. Kawasaki (ZX-R or RR)
4. Yamaha (YZF-R)

Everyone has their favorites, but in reality they are all neck and neck.

From year to year they one up each other in very small differences, but for the most part are all very comprable.

The idea is to pick your favorite company for whatever reason (looks, style, comfort, colors, racers, price, ect.).

Welcome to sportbikes!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

thanks hendog,

I kinda find it funny and hilarious when I'm talking to people about my 1st bike and they suggest gixxers. Like, c'mon now I'm not certain but pretty sure a 600 full on sportsbike is more or less suicide for a first bike eh?

either way, 1/2 through MSF, can't wait to hop back on the bikes.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 09:12 AM

Here is the deal...

Its not that you couldnt own a 95 GSX-R 600 as your first bike. That would not be a terrible choice, just a bad one. Above 8k rpms, the bike is blindingly fast. It is difficult to even know when to shift because you cannot pay attention to the tach when you are accelarating so hard. You could certainly come up on a corner too hot and not know how to hit it and you could very well fly off the road.

It is much more difficult to get yourself in that kind of situation with a SV 650. That bike has just enough power to be fun (not to mention out run most cars on the road) but yet not out of control fast.

It will take you more than a year to harness and utilize the power of a SV 650. If you get good and you were riding with 3 other guys all on late 90's 600 sportbikes, you will be able to keep up everywhere but the straights.

HERE IS THE REAL PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you bought a 2005 GSX-R 1000 as your first bike, you will learn to stay alive, not to ride. You could put 10k miles on one of those and only learn 1/2 of what you could learn in 5k miles on a SV 650. That is the important part.

I have been riding for 4 years. I am OK. I have owned 2 bikes and ridden 10. I have alot to learn about stunting and track riding. I am by no means an expert, but I know this. You will love an SV 650 the whole time you own it. You will ride with guys with cooler bikes and faster bikes, but you will know that you can have one of those later. And the bike you have now is the best one for the time being.

Good Luck!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hendog24
Look man, I cannot let you do this.

I bought a '96 Suzuki Bandit 600 as my first bike. I kept it for 1 year. It killed me to keep it that long.
Can you elaborate on the reasons why you hated it so much? I've just celebrated my 2nd anniversary with my '96 Bandit, and I'm actually staring to appreciate it more lately for being kind of unique... Sure I have my list of gripes about it, weight and seat are the top two, but it really is not a bad bike. Perhaps it does not accelerate as fast as GSXR600 would, but it definitely has sport-like performance characteristics.
Quote:

If you buy a GS 500 F the same thing will happen to you. I dont give a damn about a power band. You will learn to ride the right way no matter which one you buy.

You will be willing to stick with the SV 650 for a solid 2 years or more and really learn to ride without being upset with your decision or self consious about your bike.

The SV 650 is cool. I own a GSX-R 750 and I am thinking about buying an SV 650 as a second bike. I would not take a GS 500 F for free. Think about that...
I actually just got home last night from a 600+ mile ride on my newly purchased '01 SV650S. I had about 12 hours to ponder the qualities of this bike and compare to the Bandit. I certainly like the sound as it growls up through the RPM's, I love the lightness of the aluminum frame, and the clip-ons made it easier for me to rest my elbows on top of my knees during the ride. Because it sits lower, it feels more flickable, although taking my favorite twistie this morning I did not rip it as hard as I do on the Bandit since I'm still getting a feel for the SV. I did not feel like acceleration is any better on the SV, though I did not time it to truly measure it. And I actually missed the high-pitch "singing" of the I-4 engine. I still need a little time before I decide to put the Bandit up for sale. Think about that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode