Trailer size? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Question Trailer size?

Recently I have been shopping around for a utility trailer to trailer my bike. What would be a good size trailer to comfortably fit 2 bikes? I was looking into maybe a 5x8 but I wasn't sure if that was big enough. I have a pickup so I would like to be able to put one bike in the bed and two bikes on the trailer so My friend, and my cousin can go to track days with me Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 08:24 AM

look for a used 2 place snowmobile trailer. You can find them cheap. Simple mods and your up and running. If your creative you could even have it set up for 3 bikes. In case you have an extra biker go with you... Also it makes it really nice if you transport one bike to have a spot set up in the middle of the trailer for it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 09:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
You should take into consideration the types of bikes and the width from the straps. For example if you are going to use canyon dancers to transport you can pretty much assure that the 5x8 not be large enough for a side by side transport. The support straps stretch out fairly wide with those. If you are doing a busa you can pretty much forget it. I have seen people put two bikes together side by side, one is facing the fron and the other is facing the rear. Not saying this is the best way, but just saying it is a way.

I would probably look for something a little wider with more room. Better to be safe than sorry. You should also measure out the span (width) of the straps you will be using. That should give you a good idea of how your bikes should be transported.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I have been looking at the strapless transport system. It bolts to the floor and a rod goes through the stand and through the rear axle and then locks in place. All I would have to do is then put one strap up front just so the front is secured. I will prolly never have a busa on there. Just a gsxr, ducati 748, and/or an F4i. I am going to do some more research and take some measurements. Thanks again.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

I just towed my R1 and a friends 929 RR to Deal's Gap from the coast of NC on my 5x8. Didn't have any problems at all, and had plenty of room left over for luggage. Next spring I will probably tow both my Yamahas (which I've already checked for fit). I may need to fold the mirrors in, but they fit.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode