I Used Diesel!!! Not Good!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Angry I Used Diesel!!! Not Good!!!

To start off, please no bashing me for this huge f*ck-up of a mistake I made. Trust me, I have gotten bashed verbally to a bloody pulp already...

What I need to know is how to get my brand new( yzf 600r-1600 miles) bike running again. To start off I'll give you the backround story.
It happened Sat. night when I just got off work and was doing my regular 1/2 hour around town cruise before I called it a night. I ran into a fellow biker and he said him and some buds were doin some highway cruising that night. I followed to the meet-up point at an out of town gas station. My tank was down to about 1 1/2 gallons so just be safe I decieded to fill her up. So here i am about to go on one of my first "big group" rides (about 20 bikers,all sportbikes) and i'm going gagga just lookin at everyones amazing rides with all ther mods and decals. Sure enough without realizing I began to make might first BIG noob mistake. Now, to my defense the gas station had the pumps set up really wierd. I was in the center lane on a 3-type gasoline fill up. Behind me was a Diesel only pump. My pump station gave me the usual pick: 91-89-87 choice of fuels. I of course instinctively grabbed the 91 rating but didn't bother to notice the VERY bland and insignificant green stripe above the octane rating. Being it a sportbike(YZF-600r) the tank didn't have a safety collar to stop me from puttin the nozzle in. So after filling up, I started the bike back up(started fine due to previous gas still in the line) and hit the highway. After 30-45secs of riding(in 6th now,doing 75-80mph) my engine started making this choking noise like it was gasping for air and couldn't keep up with the throttle i was giving. My first reaction I made was to open the throttle more but this was having little to no effect on the engine response. I signaled to the guys that i had to go back to town and they went ahead without me. Within 20-30secs after this started I pulled into one of those turn-arounds in the center of the highways and turned the bike off...

I get off the bike instantly start looking for leaks, cut wires-etc. Anything that my noob and non-mechanical mind could think of. NO leaks, fluid or anything. The oil level was fine as well( just changed it 1000 miles back). I try starting it and the only way to get it to run was to close the choke lever like I do when I'm warming it up in the A.M. This starts the bike but i noticed right away that there was THICK blue-white smoke coming out of the excaust! The second i turned the choke back to off, the engine died. Then, after doing this 3-4 times, it just wouldn't start all together!!Eventually some bikers ( Harleys, to my surprise!) stop on the rode to assist me. Fyi it's night time and pitchblack, less the car light from the highway. They dismount their choppers and I exlpain to them what happened. I'm also on the cell with a good friend of mine who has great knowledge about cars and what not. My bud on the phone is trying to figure out what could have gone wrong and after I explain the situation his first conclusion was "did you just fill up?-Yea...so? "Well it sounds like you just filled up will diesel" OH SH*T................-was my first conclusion right afterwards. i open the gas lid and sure enough-DIESELSo first thing we do is lift up the tank(it is hinged for easy maintence I guess) and open up some kind of valve(the bikers mentioned petcock or something) and gas start pouring out. 4-5mins after the gas drains one of the harley riders was kind enough to have a trailer tow me back to the gas station 1/2 mile away. I fill up with reg. gas this time (I think...)

and try to start it up. After 5mins of abuse on the starter nothing happened. So the bikers are then REALLY kind and tow me back into town(1/2 hour away from the station) And now my brand new not even broken in bike is sitting there useless. Tried this morning to start it up, but now the battery is almost completely drained... and no running bike.

If you have any suggestions or tips PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me out!! I want your guys help/knowledge before I let my local Yammy dealership rape me... Thanks so very much guys and sorry about the LONG a*s post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 06:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
Wow...sorry about your luck.

Really the best thing for your to do is take it to the dealer. Trust me on this, no matter what you think you can do on your own you will not be able to do the entire job yourself or with friends. At one point you will take it in for them to finish the job. Might as well take it in at the beginning and pay for the repairs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DocThee
Wow...sorry about your luck.

Really the best thing for your to do is take it to the dealer. Trust me on this, no matter what you think you can do on your own you will not be able to do the entire job yourself or with friends. At one point you will take it in for them to finish the job. Might as well take it in at the beginning and pay for the repairs.
dont listen to this dumba**...lol but seriously hes right....they will charge you as much as they can but it will be worth it...its also good to make buddies with the guys at the shops...thats what i did and i can get discounts on anything..

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 07:22 AM

You should be able to fix it yourself. All you would have to do is drain the tank, and some how clean it out. I would also take the fuel rail off to clean it. Carb cleaner can be used to clean all the fuel related parts. I would also change your oil incase any got past the rings, then put everything back together top your tank off with some fresh 93 and some fuel injection cleaner and you should be good to go. The bike may run rough for a tanks worth of gas, but it shouls then be fixed. I have seen this done to cars, and fixed it with no problem. good luck
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 07:25 AM
jab

Not a mechanic so i cant give any tech info, but if it were me id take it to dealer. If it makes you feel any better i did the same thing (IN MY CAR)!! I had never pumped deisel so i had no clue about the different sized nozzle. I pulled up to the pumps, this was at a station in Delray Florida, and the deisel was right in with the reg fuel, and it was the last one to the lefft, usually were the premium is. I put the nozzle to the tank and it wouldnt fit, somehow i choose to overlook that clue and pumped some into my car by matching up the nozzle with my gas entry. I only got about half a gallon in, and that was an effort in itself, before i came back to earth and realized that the nozzle doesnt fit in my ttank for a reason .. I just topped it of with reg gas and it never gave me a problem so i lucked out, but thats the dumbest thing i think ive ever done.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wheelie_steve
You should be able to fix it yourself. All you would have to do is drain the tank, and some how clean it out. I would also take the fuel rail off to clean it. Carb cleaner can be used to clean all the fuel related parts. I would also change your oil incase any got past the rings, then put everything back together top your tank off with some fresh 93 and some fuel injection cleaner and you should be good to go. The bike may run rough for a tanks worth of gas, but it shouls then be fixed. I have seen this done to cars, and fixed it with no problem. good luck
He should just be able to fix it himself...I would do the samething. But he says he is non-mechanical and would likely do more harm than good. If he doesn't have the capacity to thoroughly get this job done, the bike will end up in the dealer anyway probably costing more. Costing more to fix his mistakes trying to fix it, then fixing the original job.

Just take it in!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 750babe
dont listen to this dumba**...lol but seriously hes right....they will charge you as much as they can but it will be worth it...its also good to make buddies with the guys at the shops...thats what i did and i can get discounts on anything..
Yeah...yeah...don't listen to me...I only use unleaded in my gas tank. Ouch!!

Sorry there has to be SOME ball busting here about your mishap.

LOL

Ok...back to reality now.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 10:07 AM

ok sorry, had to put in my 2 cents. Next time take a deep breath, and calm down before putting gas in the tank, and going riding with some new people.
Oh and if your battery is dead and making a buzzing sound trash it (properly) and buy a new one because it will never charge to a full capacity again. If you must ride it with the current battery, put your bike in 2nd, turn on ignition key DONT TOUCH STARTER DONT TOUCH STARTER!!!, with clutch in run along side bike or sit on it and have someone give you a push. Once your get going a little bit release clutch and open up on that throttle. Bike will start up, but again once you shut it off, batery will probably not have re-start.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the great replies!! I don't feel quite so stupid now knowing someone else has done something like this . I think i'm gonna play it safe and probably just haul it over to the dealership and let the pilaging and raping of my wallet begin... My local dealer charges $60 an hour so I hope they got there good morning coffee before they whip the tools out.

Like Doc mentioned I'm very mechanically inclined so this would be commiting bike suicide doing anything myself,outside of changing the oil. Eventually I'll start prying around inside that sexy machine and get compfy with it's delicate inner layouts. For now though it's gonna be mostly hands off for me. And from now on I'm gonna be a hell of a lot more attentive when at the pump! ( f*ckin diesel........)

Thanks as always guys and of course please continue any and all comments regarding this!!

....oh and one more thing i almost forgot to ask, how long do you guys think it SHOULD take a decent mechanic to get my bike up and running. Just a ball park range would be very helpful. NEVER gone to a dealership for anything but routine oil changes.... so i have NO idea what the time range is( 1 hour? 10 hours?)Thanks so very much for the help!

Last edited by matrixman; 09-19-2005 at 11:08 AM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 11:21 AM

The dealer may have your bike for a few hours. I don't think it should take that long, and I would have it fixed in an hour if I did it, but thats why we call them stealerships. Hopefully the dealership by you is an honest ones. There are some real dishonest ones by my house. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode