Which non-replica handles best? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Which non-replica handles best?

'Been back & forth on the next mount, deciding to get off the sofa (cruiser). First lusted after the extreme sport side of sport touring (Sprint), then kept reading how the suspenders are mush. 'Finally rode 40mi of tight & semi-tight twisties on the CBR1K. The handling was wonderful, torque wonderful, but reach to the bars had my neck wrenched up so radically I knew it wouldn't do. The 954 was comfortable by comparison. I note the GSXR1K has a short reach to bars & only needs lower pegs to fit. I thought the RC51 ergos were acceptable.
I'm afraid something less than a replica will leave me wanting in the handling department. If I go replica, the 954 or GSXR1K would seem to do. If I go something less than replica, I don't know what handles best. The SV1K has appeal, but many counsel the FZ1000, which seems to have relaxed rake/trail - hard to believe it handles that well. Any thoughts on which non-replica handles best (that has the torque of a literbike)? 'Appreciate your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 08:23 AM

Re: Which non-replica handles best?

Quote:
pushrod wrote: The SV1K has appeal, but many counsel the FZ1000, which seems to have relaxed rake/trail - hard to believe it handles that well. Any thoughts on which non-replica handles best (that has the torque of a literbike)?
Most of what people think they know about motorcycle handling is wrong. We read in the magazines about how this bike or that handles great, and we infer that their conclusions apply to our own riding. They don't.

There simply isn't a strong relationship between how a bike behaves at triple digits through turns 8 and 9 at Willow Springs--one of the motojournos favorite venues--and how it behaves on the backroads most of us ride. Except on the occasional track day, the typical sportrider spends most of his time on roads with narrow 12-foot lanes, blind turns, and sometimes dirty pavement. We need bikes that steer easily and accurately from 25 to 75mph, soak up nasty bumps, and accommodate mid-turn corrections to dodge the occasional boulder. Steep lean angles and the ability to feed in power at 100mph while dragging an elbow really don't figure into street sportriding.

I've ridden the FZ1 and SV1000, and I loved them both. If I were picking between the two, I'd probably go with the SV because it's such a hoot to throw around in tight twisties. Seriously entertaining.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Dan, Thank You!!
The part about not dragging elbows is very well taken. I'm not interested in racing, but spirited riding - usually all day & sometimes multi-day. My friends ride & tour on I-4 literbikes & when I rode both, I found the torque I love, and the handling I've craved. With no interest in racing, or the hellacious top end of these bikes, it does recommend a twin in a tight chassis. I've obsessed about either the SV or the RC51, knowing neither is currently race competitive, but don't care. The big question would be along the lines of: is the SV (even with tweaking/tuning suspension) at or near 95% of the RC handling. In all other categories, it seems superior in terms of comfort, occaisionally taking the wife out, fitting hard bags for touring.
At PIR yesterday, spoke w/ owners of old & new Triumph Sprints, which with the ST3/4 & Futura seem to be as sporty as the sport touring side gets. Even the new Sprint owner says: 'its not the best handling bike I've had'. This is what drives the questions about handling. If I have to do a replica to get that handling, and a literbike to get the torque, I'm willing. If a more practical bike like the SV can really handle that well, it seems like the right choice. The guys on the SV650s universally praise the 650's handling, but don't know or don't think the 1000 handles. (Granted, the slight weight difference will always make the smaller bike more agile. The only other potential could come from the latest '06 change to the GSXR 750 - the longer stroke providing more torque w/ less of the power stacked on top. 'Till now, its said to be like a more powerful middleweight - no torque without 8,000 rpms.
I sure do crave the input on the handling of the SV or other outstanding handling bikes. The object is simple: torque & handling.

Many Thanks, Dan. I appreciate it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 01:16 PM

Have you ridden one of the 06 Buell XB12R's? It sounds like it may be a good candidate for you.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 01:33 PM

The very reason I bought a Yamaha YZF600r in '97 & traded in my Suzy GSZR-750 in '00 for the Honda 929 & while I looked at the CBR1000 I turned it down for several reason & MAIN one was the extreme lean forward position like my GSXR & so found a still-in-the-box '03 954 in November '04.

I know of a chap, on another board that bought the latest Kwacker 1000 or possible the 636 & has changed the bars for almost a set of flat tracking bars, which means the work of mounts & bolting them on the top yoke.

Still you can obtain heli-bars or something like that which so many obtain to replace the stock clip-ons.

Last edited by Smitty; 09-19-2005 at 04:03 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Thank You!!!

Gents, I wanted to get back to you, with gratitude, on my handling connundrum for what is primarily a day rider & twice a year sport tourer. I haven't been able to find a lot of input on the handling prowess of the SV1000s. DataDan was the only input (Thank You Dan!!). I'd gotten LOTs of input on on how the SV650s was the defacto entry level track bike but no one knew about the 1000. Sure it would be slightly less nimble (about 30lbs heavier), but the same configuration. I'm not sure about the frame, but I know they do share numerous components (tank, subframe, etc I don't know if its the same frame). Gpsuspension (who was at the track Sunday) has standard kits for the 650. Surely they could do something similar for the 1000. It would seem that would address any deficiencies of the factory suspenders. It didn't dawn on me until this afternoon, the similarities & likely similar enhancements and comparable results could be achieved w/ the 1000. It does make the choice clear. There are WAY too many Pluses w/ the SV to pay the extra money, extra insurance, forego hardbags, never having the wife ride w/ me, etc. The torque & the handling and at least $2k cheaper after mods.
Thank You very much for your kind (and patient) help. I very much appreciate it.

Smitty & Dago - Thank You. I was all set to follow Smitty's route of adapting the GSXR or CBR, having seen how well they go distance. I really like that. I hadn't considered the Buell, though I did follow the threads on the new Ulysees. I just thought the lightning wouldn't take a passenger at all (same as replicas), and was afraid the compromises for off roading the Ulysees would be at the expense of road handling. I will check out the Buell, but it does sound like the SV leads. With great care & humility, I think the SV could do minimal off road. 'Had the Dyna up to its frame in water a couple of times after a 2.5 mile dirt trail that dropped 700' of elevation. My friend on his F4i had more trouble due to narrow clip-ons than I had on the road sofa.
Again, Thank you guys. Its helped ALOT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode