To anyone who thinks riding without gear is smart - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

To anyone who thinks riding without gear is smart

Note to moderators: this is not a 'death photo' or video, the guy is fine, but - ouch.

http://www.collegehumor.com/movies/1607268/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 10:07 PM

I hate to bring semantics into this... but I don't think many people think it's 'smart'. These people probably either don't care that much about the injury (fine... their life), or they don't realize how stupid they are.

Terrible crash in that video... that guy was so lucky to not hit a car or anything. I'd say I'm glad he's alright... but I can't find it in myself to actually give a damn.

Nice vid though, hopefully it'll encourage some newbies to do the truly smart thing and wear gear. Preserve your body if you want it to last your life.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedboy3
I hate to bring semantics into this... but I don't think many people think it's 'smart'. These people probably either don't care that much about the injury (fine... their life), or they don't realize how stupid they are.
You'd be surprised, there've been some pretty amazing arguments (the stupidity is the amazing part) for not wearing gear that I've read in the few years I've been riding.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cmd954
You'd be surprised, there've been some pretty amazing arguments (the stupidity is the amazing part) for not wearing gear that I've read in the few years I've been riding.
<sarcasm>
Don't you guys know that helmets will cause you more damage to the neck in a crash? What about the gloves restricting your finger movement and limiting your control?
</sarcasm>

First one came from my neighbor, who has apparently reconsidered his position on the subject, now that he actually owns a bike (Harley, of course) and has a wife with two kids at home. Last time I saw him ride into work he had a full-face helmet and a leather jacket , though he still squids when just riding around town. The second one came from my wife, after I got her FirstGear Dakota gloves, which she immediately found too restrictive, and continued to ride either without any or with MX gloves that she picked up on her own
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 11:02 PM

it almost came in contact with the car in the end. so... what happend to the bike?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 11:13 PM

Looks like he had a little rear wheel wobble. Maybe a little less air pressure in the rear tire next time. That crash looked like it hurt. He's lucky he didn't get hit by that car. WOW!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 11:16 PM

or may be too much throttle.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 03:36 AM

Hi All-

The accident literally knocked the shoes off his feet. You can see how all of the "bony prominences" were affected like elbow, shoulder, and likely one (or both) of his ankles. Boots are the only choice for footwear while riding.

Leathers, helmet, and gloves goes without saying...

~ Blue Jays ~
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 06:19 AM

Or a high quality high top riding shoe would be OK.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...115&division=1

A Textile or Leather jacket with armor is a must any time you plan to ride over 30mph.

Gloves are #2 only to a helmet. I have seen some guys save themselves (instinctivley) with thier hands. I saw a guy do it without gloves once. His hands were mangled. Broken fingers, scars, you name it.

Long riding pants, or thick jeans with pads are also very important. I am guilty of wearing regular jeans.

That lucky ba5tard lived through that terrible wreck by luck. He could have walked away without a mark if he were wearing appropriate gear.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 09:28 AM

YAAAYYY throttle junkies! Now everyone can see what I'm always preaching about with the smooth throttle and more brake control thing. Look at the bike lunging up and down. He hit BP and never touched the brake. Down he went. Oh... and this is what it looks like when you wreck like that without gloves... This is my roommate after goin down. He used the same line as you're wife. "Its too restrictive... and it's hot out. I don't like the way it feels." He was wishing he would have listened and worn my gear. Looped wheelie @ 60 mph =
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rash hands.jpg (12.4 KB, 239 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode