Motorcycle Dealership - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Motorcycle Dealership

I am just wondering, but what sort of investment does one need to open up a motorcycle dealership? What is the contractual deal or requirement for someone to sign with Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc? Would appreciate any personal insights you have in this regard. I am looking to start a good, stable business. I am very serious about it, and eligible for few bank loans. Don't worry, I'm not coming to your area. . Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 08:45 PM

Do not even think of it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

really, that bad? what sort of problems are there? Where I work we have one Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Ducati dealer here, and they're doing very well. And Yamaha just opened up, it's going a bit slow for them mostly because of the Honda dealer. But they're still there, great service. But I live in different city than where I work, and over here, there's no dealership yet.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 10:46 AM

I would do some investigation as to if there ever has been, if there's not a single dealership in your city, there might be a reason for it, and from what i've heard when this question has come up before, it's not a very stable investment.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 09:22 PM

Hi All-

The startup costs are probably staggering. Aside from inventory and salaries for the various sales, service, and parts staffs you also have to deal with environmental protection concerns and other governmental regulations. You might wish to work at an established dealership to learn the ropes and then seek to hang your own shingle at a later date.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2005, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

thanks. I've dealt with EPA and health department before, that's not the big concern. but you're right about learning the ropes first.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2005, 04:31 AM

When it comes to starting a business there is always alot of risk, no matter what field you go into. I would just say do your homework and goodluck .
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 04:43 AM

I hate to say this, but sportbike guys arent the best customers. We are way to willing to go online to save $10. Honestly, majority of riders are young (20's), and are spending more of their income on the hobby than we should (from an economic standpoint. Try figuring out how much money you spend on riding in a year) Thus budgets are stretched thin...
You want to make money, you need a customer base of babyboomers looking to be young again. I cant believe I'm saying this, but If I was going to open a dealership, I'd sell harleys...

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
I I cant believe I'm saying this, but If I was going to open a dealership, I'd sell harleys...
+1 that's I was thinking...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2005, 06:32 AM

You could also cater to the euro elitists, if there are enough of them around...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode