Rich fuel mixture.... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 38
Rich fuel mixture....

My '01 F4i runs real rich. Everytime I get off my bike, I smell like exhaust with an overly rich fuel mixture. I checked my mileage last tank and only got 35mpg, which seems pretty low to me. I have heard that aftermarket pipes will cause the bike to run rich. I have a D&D slip-on, so I'm assuming that this is my problem. So, is there anything I can do to remedy this problem?
br1ev8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 11:56 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 17
Re: Rich fuel mixture....

Quote:
Originally posted by br1ev8
My '01 F4i runs real rich. Everytime I get off my bike, I smell like exhaust with an overly rich fuel mixture. I checked my mileage last tank and only got 35mpg, which seems pretty low to me. I have heard that aftermarket pipes will cause the bike to run rich. I have a D&D slip-on, so I'm assuming that this is my problem. So, is there anything I can do to remedy this problem?
hmm, it's only a slip on, more for looks and sound then performance. if it is running rich, i doubt its the slip on causing it. does any black smoke come out of the exhaust? and does it pop at all?

i also thought my bike (02 f4i, i also live in tally by the way) was running rich. i was told to check the airfilter, because if something big decided to get stuck on it then it could cause you to run rich. i have still yet to check it though (no time!).
jon341427 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 12:02 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 414
I was having a similar problem when I had a d&d pipe on my gsxr. The d&d will make the bike run shitty. Trust me.
wheelie_steve is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 01:02 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally posted by wheelie_steve
I was having a similar problem when I had a d&d pipe on my gsxr. The d&d will make the bike run shitty. Trust me.
what did you do to fix it?? change slip on's?
jon341427 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 01:38 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 67
you may want to get the bike remapped to account for the freer airflow. i'd get a high flow airfilter first (k & n). making the bike breathe freer (intake and exhaust)will improve performance ie: more power...remapping the fuel injection will solve the mixture issue.
uncledaddy is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 06:00 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 414
I finally switched back to my stock can for now. The rich smell and the roughness of my bike were not acceptable. I have a k&n and a powercommander and I couldn't get it right. I have spoken to other people with the d&d that said even after the dyno the bike still ran like shit. So thats why I switched back to the stock can.
wheelie_steve is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2005, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 38
jon341427---I haven't checked the air filter, good idea.
Its a small world. What color is your bike? Do you go to FSU by any chance?

uncledaddy----Where can I get the bike remapped? I was told to go with the power commander to fix the issue.

wheelie_steve---My bike runs great with the D&D, smooth power delivery, idle, etc. Its just the rich mixture that sucks.
br1ev8 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 04:17 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally posted by br1ev8
jon341427---I haven't checked the air filter, good idea.
Its a small world. What color is your bike? Do you go to FSU by any chance?

my bike is red and silver, but has a red tail and red rims. http://www.picturetrail.com/joncattaneo that is when i got it, the stickers on the front are now gone.

i actually go to TCC until i get instate tuition. came down here from NY to try to scam instate and then transfer to FSU ;p are you in FSU? and do you have a group you ride with? i just started riding about a month ago, so i wanted to get used to the bike before going out on runs.
jon341427 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 05:51 AM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 675
a slip on should lean it out and not richen it.
mainerdr is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2005, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally posted by jon341427
my bike is red and silver, but has a red tail and red rims. http://www.picturetrail.com/joncattaneo that is when i got it, the stickers on the front are now gone.

i actually go to TCC until i get instate tuition. came down here from NY to try to scam instate and then transfer to FSU ;p are you in FSU? and do you have a group you ride with? i just started riding about a month ago, so i wanted to get used to the bike before going out on runs.
Yeah, I go to FSU, but transfered from TCC. I don't ride with anyone, honestly don't have the time. There is a group that meets at Fast Trixx (N. Monroe before Hooters) on Sunday mornings and rides into GA for lunch, then back. I hear they really move though, so if you go, be prepared for a very fast ride.Ive been tempted to go, but decided not to. I think I would probably push myself beyond my means and wreck or something.
br1ev8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome