4 months w/o riding just got bike back... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

4 months w/o riding just got bike back...

i moved out of state about 4 months and my bike and car where shipped on a boat here where im staying only their was problems with the paperworkd and i did;t get my bike out of customs until yesteday, anyway the deal is i haven;t rode any bike at all in 4 months and before that i have about 2 years and 70k miles of experience so im pretty good rider i would say, and when i had my bike being as it was mainly my main form of transportation i was pretty good with it i would throw that thing around like nothing becasue i was so used to being as i used to go to work everyday with it and even to the supermarket with my bookbag,

so i get my bike back yesterday and im riding around and its like i completley forgot how to ride, i can;t barely get my knee down like i was able to before, and even small wheelies im having trouble doing, now what im really pissed me off and this never happens to me was i went to a friends house and i got off the bike and i was manually moving it and i sorta loss my sense and let the bike lean over to the right too much and i dropped it! i was so pissed not becasue of the damage becasue i already had cosmetic damage in that very same area from when my idiot friend dropped it and broke the right side turn signals and brake lever and scratched the upper parts of the side fairings, all which i fixed exceot the paint scratches on the fairing, but im just really pissed that i let that happen, im i just a dumb and bad rider or is this somthing that can happen toanybody? and also in u turns im having trouble conroling the weight of the bike, its as almost if i got weaker and the bike got heavier, beforei would make u turns without thinking and manually push my bike like nothing not ever dropping it or loosing balance, maybe i just need to quit smoking

oh yeh and the new front brake lever i bought got bent like 100 degrees out when the bike fell, iguess it took the impact, i tried to bend it back with plyers but its too hard, im gonna take it off and see if i can hammer it back to place, any idea if it will hold or just break off?

GSX-R 600 alstare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:58 AM

Give yourself a bit of time and you will be fine. Your body and senses have to readjust. Your mind has probably gotten a bit lazy and sounds like you could be losing some focus.

Newbies usually have fear to help focus them and heighten their senses at first. It will all come back, the problem sounds like you are acting like you never had any time off at all. Start slowly and you will be back up to speed in no time.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 12:05 PM

+1 Don't be too hard on yourself. Just relax and enjoy the fact that you've got your bike back.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 01:40 PM

It will all fall into place. My, then 55 yr old father, knew the basics about m/cs though had never riden one. He often helped me on bikes I had at home.

This one day he said "Do you think I could ride the LE?" Looked at him, rembered he road a bicycle during the depressiong (though this was '55) & since he started to drive in 1916 he had never had an automotive accident. My answer was sort of why not & told him the bike would need to be filled up.

Before I had a chance to ride it down the steep gravel driveway to the gravel alley, he had fired up the bike & made it to the alley & wobbled on his way, to come back later & say he had filled up the petrol tank & asked if I could put a windscreen on the bike. This was with a bike that had a hand shift & hand arm starter!!!!!!!!!!

I did that two days later & that was his bike for the next few years.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 04:47 PM

You didn't ride for 4 whole months..??? cry me a river...I didn't ride for almost 3 years...first thing I did was hit the track...took me 2 track days to get back to a bout 70% of my previous riding skill, but I was draggin knees after 8 turns...

You really did have it Tough....

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

imgetting moreand more use to it now, although i don;treally get a chance to "joy ride" here cuz the traffic is so bad, but i amgetting more used to it, i wish their was a tracak here so that i can practice my lean, because when i was in the states i was like 1 inch away from dragging my knee, but my lean now sucks but im getting their, and im getting more used to the weight

GSX-R 600 alstare
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2005, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyMontana
imgetting moreand more use to it now, although i don;treally get a chance to "joy ride" here cuz the traffic is so bad, but i amgetting more used to it, i wish their was a tracak here so that i can practice my lean, because when i was in the states i was like 1 inch away from dragging my knee, but my lean now sucks but im getting their, and im getting more used to the weight
Hey..I was just messin with ya...don't worry bout it...the riding will come back to ya soon eneough.......Ride safe..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode