Interesting shifting method - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Interesting shifting method

I've read about this in a car/bike comparo. The test was a 1 mile acceleration run.

I'm sure most of you know about the preloading the shifter and letting off the throttle long enough to unload the tranny. Well this rider went a step further.

He preloaded the shifter and waited for the rev limiter to cut the spark, which instantly put him in next gear.

I dont see that doing any good at anything other then acceleration tests, still it was an interesting Idea...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Send a message via Yahoo to DreamRyder
well I know for a fact I'd loose too much power if I waited till that happened for me on the 929 at the dragstrip..

I have to shift much sooner.. more like around 10 to 11 rpm ... but def interesting idea..

I like the preload though it cuts down on the false N's I use to get by using the clutch...

I'm considering going to an airshifter but I like my trunk space too much LOL

E.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

If it's too good to be true... then you must be Dreaming.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:00 AM

Well you are definitely losing speed if you wait until your redline to shift, but it is still kinda a neat idea.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:05 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Interesting, but not very useful. Doesn't just about every bike peak out well before their limiter? Whatever floats his boat.

Was this on the test of all the cars and the jet and the MV? I think I read that in there somewhere....I wasn't impressed.

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:20 AM

I preload the shifter then just blip the throttle. Shifts perfectly everytime. I also run reversed shift pattern, which makes it a lot easier to preload.

There are 2 things wrong with using the rev limiter to shift. Look at most any dyno chart, and you will see that the peak HP is well before the rev limiter. Also, most rev limiters don't reset untill the RPM's have come down a substantial distance. You'd be off the power even longer that way then just blipping the throttle.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:24 AM

other than putting a bike on the dyno how do you know the optimal shift rpm?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:29 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by mainerdr
other than putting a bike on the dyno how do you know the optimal shift rpm?
There are probably some who can tell just by feel, but really the dyno seems, to me, the only way. It would have to be your bike to be "optimal," but anyone who has the same bike and has had it dyno'd would be able to give you a pretty good idea.

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:32 AM

http://sportrider.com/bikes/146_Weights_Measurements/

sportrider has a quite a few measured. according to them, peak HP on my bike is 12.5K. redlines at 13.5K.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 11:39 AM

good link z my bike is actually in there....
wonder if the muzzy pipe and jetting would push peak power bit higher rpm? That would be my guess, can't see it making more power under 10.5 than over with upgrades... but maybe.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 06:35 PM

peak may be... but most jetting (at least to my understanding since my last bike had a jetkit) would improve mid-range. but there are some downside if not done well or over done. fuel consumption, lots of it. and the bike took longer to warm up in my case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode