Replacing Spark Plugs - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Replacing Spark Plugs

I spent an entire afternoon trying to replace the plugs, as I'm guessing it has never been changed. So anyway, moving the radiator was a real pain, with all the bolts rusted and no "specific" tools, it took some time and effort. But when I pulled off the ignition coil from the spark plugs, long behold, I find that actual spark plugs are sitting well below the surface, very deep inside the "hole," 5-6 inches below may be. On my previous bikes (FZR & SV), when I took off the spark plug caps, the tip of the spark plugs are situated 1/8 above the surface and visible, so getting them out was possible with regular wrench/sockets.

Now do I need some sort of Honda specialized tools/socket to go deep inside the hole and get it out. The space is quite cramped as it is, I can't even fit my hands inside or move it around with all the hoses and engine parts fitted in tiny space, how the hell do people extract their plugs on modern sportbikes? May be Japanese people have easier time working on them with their hands, but I sure don't.

Is this just a Honda thing or is it common among modern sportbikes? Thanks.

It just doesn't justify paying $35.00 for labor just to replace plugs,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 08:52 PM

it is common to find plugs recessed in the cylinder heads on modern cars and bikes. Just use the right size spark plug socket (MOST LIKELY 5/8" for the bike) and an extention with a ratchet. When you thread them back in make sure you do it by hand first and then use the ratchet to "snug them". hope this helps
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

would you have a link to an online store may be, I looked everywhere (harbor freight, discount auto, sears, home depot, lowes, napa, and even Honda/Yamaha dealers), but they don't have the swivelling extension that I need for it. would be even better if it comes with the right socket.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 10:41 PM

Take the tank off. Then it's real easy. You don't even need the swiveling extension.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

actually just the tank wouldn't do, have done it too as well as removing the ducts. I have to take off the airbox as well, and even then there are some hoses constricting the angle. plus it's a real pain putting the box back on again and connecting it to the carbs. either way, I'll need very long extensioner because it's really deep inside. normal sized extensions are too short.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 01:38 AM

Yeah man, plugs are a horrible job on these bikes the first time you do it. When I first did mine, I put the plug socket on the plug, then measured how long I needed the extension to be and just hit up the local store.

With the right length extension, and very small turns of the ratchet, no swivel extension was needed... maybe it'll work out to be the same story for you, maybe not.

At least you can take solace in the knowledge that it just gets easier every time. And once you have the right tools and know exactly what steps to do, it's not a bad job really. Good luck.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 01:51 AM

If you have an autozone near where you live you might try them. I bought a spark plug socket that had the universal joint already built in to the socket from them. Its definetly a tool that I have been extreemly pleased with. That thing has saved me a lot of frustration over the years with helping people change the plugs on their cars.

These are what you need, I promixe you will never regret purchasing them ever.

Last edited by Loud412; 09-13-2005 at 01:56 AM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I have similar sockets that I used, but can't remember if it has the actual universal joint (the ones I have may swivel one way and not the other). Right now I can't check my tool box because I'm in difference city. But does it work like swivelling kinds, as in able to rotate in all direction? Even with this, how long extensioner do you use on it? And I'll probably need a universal joint to hook it up between extensioner and ratchet.

Last edited by Z_Fanatic; 09-13-2005 at 07:31 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 08:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
If you are referring to the F4 spark plugs, they are not that hard. Maybe a 20-25 minute job after the tank is off. It's best to use the tool that was included in the tool kit to remove/replace the spark plugs.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:32 AM

Honda plugs have a reputation for being hard to change...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode