small popping sound coming from exhuast? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

small popping sound coming from exhuast?

i have a small popping sound that i hear mostly while engine breaking, or right when i shift gears under a load. it doesnt sound like a backfire, just this popping sound. sometimes the pops are louder then other times.

does anybody know what this could be? has anybody had similiar experiences?

thanks a lot,
jon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 03:39 PM

That's usually indicative of running a bit too rich. They're like small, rapid fire back-fires... Had that "problem", when I threw on a straight through D&D can... Ultimately, I put the stock can back on, and got the carbs tuned and all that jazz...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Squid
That's usually indicative of running a bit too rich. They're like small, rapid fire back-fires... Had that "problem", when I threw on a straight through D&D can... Ultimately, I put the stock can back on, and got the carbs tuned and all that jazz...
yeah thats what my guess was, running rich. do you know if there is a do it yourself way to lower the gas? or does it need to be brought into a shop to get the computer remapped/tweaked. its an 02 f4i so its fuel injected.

thanks, jon.

and ps. why didnt you just get the carbs tuned with the [email protected]? why did you go back to the stock? didnt end up liking the [email protected]?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jon341427
yeah thats what my guess was, running rich. do you know if there is a do it yourself way to lower the gas? or does it need to be brought into a shop to get the computer remapped/tweaked. its an 02 f4i so its fuel injected.

thanks, jon.

and ps. why didnt you just get the carbs tuned with the [email protected]? why did you go back to the stock? didnt end up liking the [email protected]?
Don't know too much about f4i's so I can't really comment, but I will say getting a bike properly tuned (at least for me), requires a good shop with a dyno... As for the D&D, well, I hate to say it, but I wanted a more quiet exhaust so I could hear my music better... lol, I know, I know...

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Squid
Don't know too much about f4i's so I can't really comment, but I will say getting a bike properly tuned (at least for me), requires a good shop with a dyno... As for the D&D, well, I hate to say it, but I wanted a more quiet exhaust so I could hear my music better... lol, I know, I know...

hahahaha, listening to music while riding would be realllllly fun. but im not willing to risk the lack of hearing for that pleasure.

thanks for your help
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 05:54 PM

I get the same thing with my D&D. It usually only happens when I'm winding down from 13k rpms.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 06:21 PM

I would like to preface this with -- I really don't know s#!t.

I bought a XR70 for my second son and this weekend he was out riding when my dad showed up. (Engine Master - trust me, I know not what the hell he is talking about, without a considerable amount of research)

Anyway, the XR70 was "popping" as well and I thought that is was probably running rich, in accordance with previous replies.

The 'old man' told me to check to make sure that the exhaust bolts were tight, as that is a typical sign. I wouldn't say that they were loose, but I did tighten them more (too tight?). The popping didn't stop but I can't say that it didn't help either. I became concerned about other things like, 'If you want to go faster, SHIFT!'

Just thought that I would pass it along that it might be just leaky exhaust.

Happy trails.

Scott
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 06:28 PM

Well I know with 100% certainty it's not a leaky exhaust, at least not on my bike.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 06:59 PM

may be FI configuration is messed up. that sounds strange... as FI bikes don't tend to run rich without messing with the fuel mapping. and I'm sure Honda has an auto sensor valve that shuts off fuel when the bike is off and in case of tip over. could be some sort of dirt got inside the injectors or insufficient air flow.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Z_Fanatic
may be FI configuration is messed up. that sounds strange... as FI bikes don't tend to run rich without messing with the fuel mapping. and I'm sure Honda has an auto sensor valve that shuts off fuel when the bike is off and in case of tip over. could be some sort of dirt got inside the injectors or insufficient air flow.

yeah, im going to check the air box as soon as i get a chance to see if anything decided to fly in. the previous owner said he messed with the computer, but i was told that the f4i has a ROM chipset and cant be altered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode