1st crash in over 10 years! Looking for OEM plastics. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

1st crash in over 10 years! Looking for OEM plastics.

It was bound to happen. I haven't crashed in so long, considering I put about 20K a year on my bike alone - that kind of good luck doesn't last. Cold tires, maybe some fluid on the road, not sure. I pulled out of our apartment complex - like I do every day, and I just got spit off. I remember stopping, looking left, then making the 90 degree right, gave it gas and it just spun. I am used to spinning it up, but only if I am doing it on purpose. I am sure the cars behind me got a great show, as the wicked highside landed me on my back. Anyway, lesson learned. Watch out on cold tires, and low light conditions.

So, I gotta get back on it ASAP. Helmets and magneto covers are cheap to replace. Looking around for OEM plastics, and virtually every place I have seen on the 'net, is around $500 - $600 for the left fairing. Before I plunk down the cash, I wanted a 2nd opinion from you guys. Any cheaper alternatives? Also looking to replace the footpegs. Cost is an object, and all the rearsets I priced are around $250. Anything cheaper out there or should I just replace with OEM?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pict0021.jpg (90.7 KB, 149 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 10:32 AM

Are you looking to get the bike running, or looking new? If just running, you might be able to get a fairing on ebay, it maybe scratched, but whole. Takes time, buts its cheap.
As for the pegs, do you need a peg or a rear set? I was able to pick a set of pegs (I believe they were vortex, I'll find out if you need them) for $40, which is what one would have cost me from kawi.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 10:37 AM

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 12:23 PM

fairings affect how the bike runs?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zpyro
If its flopping in the wind or scraping against the pavement...

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
If its flopping in the wind or scraping against the pavement...
ah i see said the blind man
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zpyro
Well, maybe an extreme example, but I would imagine there are some bikes out there for which the fairings might channel wind onto certain components to help them cool off...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Squid
Well, maybe an extreme example, but I would imagine there are some bikes out there for which the fairings might channel wind onto certain components to help them cool off...
All of them do that. Well most. Notice how most bikes have cuts in the side fairing, right beside the engine? those are there the draw the air from the radiator...

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
All of them do that. Well most. Notice how most bikes have cuts in the side fairing, right beside the engine? those are there the draw the air from the radiator...
Good one!

Makes perfect sense too...

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 01:38 PM

You should be able to go to your local suzuki dealer and get just the peg for 7 bucks. I've done it... oh dear god I don't even know how many times. It'll be fine. It's lasted you this long. No need for super spiffy uber expensive bullshit. 7 bucks, and you're on the road. As far as the plastics... If you're in love with the scheme, so be it. Get oem. But for a small fee you can have your current plastics fixed and painted any way you like. New one off paint job and fixed fairings for the price of an oem left fairing. I like the sound of it. But you might not. I know everyone hates buying parts from ebay cause most of them are hot. But some businesses on ebay sell them cheaper than dealerships and I'm seen some ones with very minor rash that might be better than what you've got. Good luck and glad you're ok!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode